Ly6 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, it's not worth having adjustability unless you're going to be racing/tracking the thing. When it comes to trucks, simple is good. VVT is nice but a good 3-bolt truck cam, as Ken suggests, and you'll never miss VVT. I deleted VVT from my 6.2 with a Brian Tooley Stage 2 truck cam and haven't missed it.

On the heads, many LS heads will interchange, but not in your case. The LY6 uses rectangular ports, and your 5.3 uses cathedral ports on the intake. It also has offset rocker arms on the exhaust valves.

Side note: on my last cam swap, I started with a Vinci cam, but ran into some problems with oiling and bad lifters that damaged the cam (not the cam's fault), and ended up with the Brian Tooley cam I have now. Vinci makes great cams, but they're fast ramp and high lift, requiring dual valve springs and other upgrades. There's a thread here on the project if you're interested.

If you're interested in going with a Vinci truck cam, I have a brand new one here still in the box, complete with new matched dual springs, keepers, moly pushrods, and Fel-Pro valve seals I'd be happy to sell you for a good price. The only thing missing is the lifters, and for those I would use Morel 6504.

I do plan on deleting vvt. The adjustability is to advance cam timing so I can bring power lower into the rpm range. It's not something that gets adjusted often just during cam install then leave it.
The cathedral ports and smaller chambers are why I want the 243 heads if I change to the lc9 intake I can use those heads.
I haven't seen anything else about offset rocker arms? But I have seen few threads and a video of ly6 with 243 heads just nothing detailed. But those heads should also move power lower into rpm range also.
I want this to be as cheap as possible. That's why I was leaning towards the ls9 cam I can get one new for 140 dollars. And can sell the ly6 heads and intake. but if that won't work I will have to spend more money on a different cam or maybe keep rectangle port heads. The cams you mentioned are for the rectangle port heads and would only work if I don't change heads.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have driven trucks with stock ly6 engines I wasn't impressed with there power output slightly better than my 5.3 but still felt gutless compared to my dodges with the hemi I want something that's got similar torque as them or the old 454s.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...e-21/799-vs-l92-heads-torque-dd-546273/page3/

That's the best thread I found so far about ly6 block and 243 heads actually it is l96 block and 799 heads but basically same block and basically same heads. that thread even has tune files posted but I can't open them on my phone.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
A custom ground cam would be pretty expensive that's why I was looking at ls9/ls7 cams can get them relatively cheap.
Who is Vinci?
Any other stock cams that might work without vvt?
I have seen few things about ly6 engines with 243 cathedral port heads but haven't been able to find anything detailed or with dyno results.
This picture is comparing a ls7 cam to aftermarket cams with similar duration if I am reading it right looks like it's timing is slightly retarded compared to the others.
View attachment 276616
Comp cams sells a double chain 58x crank 4x cam 3 bolt adjustable timing set that lets you advance I think up to 6 degrees.
Definitely gotta do alot more research before I decide or buy anything.

Yea I miss old big blocks and there torque too. that's kinda what I hoping to get out of this. a long runner intake would be cool. Our intakes are basically the same as trailblazer ss intakes right?

Correct, the NNBS trucks intake is the same as TBSS intake.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that Vinci could tell you all the ins and outs about what you are wanting to accomplish with the 5.3l heads on the 6.0l block. He has been doing this a looong time and knows his stuff.

If you email him he will usually give you his cell number and be happy to call and talk with you about it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the heads, many LS heads will interchange, but not in your case. The LY6 uses rectangular ports, and your 5.3 uses cathedral ports on the intake. It also has offset rocker arms on the exhaust valves.

One can put 243 heads on a 6.0/6.2 block but one cannot put 823 heads on a 4.8/5.3 block.

I have driven trucks with stock ly6 engines...
3/4 ton or larger trucks which weigh at least 600 pounds more than a half-ton. Keep things in perspective. Plus, their factory tunes are for endurance, not performance.

The L96 is the FlexFuel version of the LY6, it has larger injectors and the later years have different computers.

An LS7 camshaft will do you even worse. There's a lot more to camshafts than just the numbers. As Dave alluded to, there's the actual shape of the lobes that play a big part in how the motor behaves. If you want a factory cam with stock valve springs, the L9H is where it's at.

Ken, there is an intake with replaceable runners, long, medium, short, whatever the customer wants. I think it is the FAST LSXR.

kbuskill

Reaction score
One can put 243 heads on a 6.0/6.2 block but one cannot put 823 heads on a 4.8/5.3 block.

3/4 ton or larger trucks which weigh at least 600 pounds more than a half-ton. Keep things in perspective. Plus, their factory tunes are for endurance, not performance.

The L96 is the FlexFuel version of the LY6, it has larger injectors and the later years have different computers.

An LS7 camshaft will do you even worse. There's a lot more to camshafts than just the numbers. As Dave alluded to, there's the actual shape of the lobes that play a big part in how the motor behaves. If you want a factory cam with stock valve springs, the L9H is where it's at.

Ken, there is an intake with replaceable runners, long, medium, short, whatever the customer wants. I think it is the FAST LSXR.

Yeah I remember seeing that... still not long enough for my liking... lol

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How would the l9h cam work if I delete vvt?
Everything I've read says Ls7 and ls9 cams are identical except the ls7 cam is about 2 degrees narrower lobe separation angle.
And it's hard to find lobe shape and ramp rate info on most aftermarket cams sometimes some people will share cam doctor results.

I would be willing to bet that Vinci could tell you all the ins and outs about what you are wanting to accomplish with the 5.3l heads on the 6.0l block. He has been doing this a looong time and knows his stuff.

If you email him he will usually give you his cell number and be happy to call and talk with you about it.

I will try to get ahold of him see what he can tell me

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would the l9h cam work if I delete vvt?
Everything I've read says Ls7 and ls9 cams are identical except the ls7 cam is about 2 degrees narrower lobe separation angle.
And it's hard to find lobe shape and ramp rate info on most aftermarket cams sometimes some people will share cam doctor results.

The LS7 has a little more lift too. I suspect it will work just fine, better than the stock 6.0 camshafts which have less lift. VVT is great but has its limits for high horsepower, high rpm applications. I know enough to be dangerous but am far from an expert on the matter. However, early on I spent considerable time investigating those stock camshafts and learned that they don't work in street trucks, even the vaunted LS6 camshaft gives up nearly 40 foot pounds of torque down low and you don't get it back until above 5,000 rpms which would only please kids and full time drag racers. It would kill a tow rig.

I was able to get lobe data at one time from Crane Cams and some others but have not found the info since they moved from Daytona to Mississippi somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu