LS vs 383 Stroker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Scariano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've done 3 months of consistent research on the subject topic. Here are my findings.

There are tons of people out there that think the LS swap is the way to go. Is the LS a great engine, sure. Does it get decent gas mileage, sure. Is it reliable, yes.

However, is it really the best value, debatable!

Here's why. After months of research, I've found the option (for me anyways) is a blueprint engines 383 stroker. It's is basically plug and play for OBS Tahoes. It produces 430 HP and it cost less than an HT383 that only has 330hp. Now having said that, it would not be a good engine for towing as it has slightly higher compression. But, in terms of performance, it will out perform an LS with less hassle. The factory PCM (at least on my 99) will tune to allow it. However, due to the cam size, you will need a slightly higher torque converter.

At 4K for the engine, this is the biggest improvement you can make for the money, IMHO anyway.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Your going to have a lot of back and forth on this one, new school vs old school. I have had a few done up 350 and one vortec, Yes good power for it's time but poor fuel mileage and I found the engine didn't last as long as it should have, I never blew it up but had to change timing set and it was heavily worn. with 50,000km. I find the LS motors wear a lot slower and get better fuel mileage and better power than the vortec's ever did. IMO LS swap . It maybe a bit more money but It will be better all around.:2cents:

Either way good luck subscribed :popcorn::cheers:

OP
OP
Rob Scariano

Rob Scariano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. It's personal preference at the end of the day. Personally, I'd like to have more of a cammed out performance engine. My truck isn't a daily driver and I'm not 100% concerned with fuel economy. With that said, the LS can be upgraded as well, but here is the issue:

Regardless of how reliable an LS is, you are still assuming some percentage of risk as most are installing engines from wrecked vehicles. Even if it is low mileage, the engine will still have some level of wear and you will never know how well it was maintained.

Having said that, it's about the same price (total investment) to do a swap vs a new stroker. I think it all comes down to preference and that alone. If you plan to extend the life of your daily driver with good fuel economy, than sure, the LS is right for you. If you want a built engine, on a smaller budget, the 383 is your choice.

By the time you pull an LS out of a pre owned vehicle, rebuild it, and then swap it out. Your pretty high on price. Probably double what I'm suggesting as a 4K upgrade.

That aside, it also depends on what you intend to do with the vehicle, mud bogging, daily driver, towing. Etc.

For me (and this is my preference alone) I'd rather have a decently powered cammed out engine, on that note, the 383 is my choice.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Yes I agree. Boils down to personal preference. You have a clean well built two door. I always wanted one but never got one yet. But when I do I will have looking something like yours. With a 8.1 swap. And it would be just for fun.

OP
OP
Rob Scariano

Rob Scariano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned that. I did look at the 8.1 and other built BBs as an option. The 383 stroker from blue print has the almost same specs as a stock 8.1 with terms of HP and torque albeit the 8.1 produces 450 lbs of torque at 3000 rpms which is much better since its down at the low end. Price wise, it would have cost double to make it happen. Erghh

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I found a 3500 chev van with a 8.1 and it was cheep. I missed. The km's weren't too high. I was willing to take the chance on it.

OP
OP
Rob Scariano

Rob Scariano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 3500 chev van with a 8.1 and it was cheep. I missed. The km's weren't too high. I was willing to take the chance on it.

That would be the best way to do it. I've thought about that too. I found a 454 burb, same year, rebuilt 4L80 transmission with 14 bolt rear end. Everything I needed for 1800. The motor needed new rings as it was burning oil but it would have been worth it to convert the truck over. Although it's not an 8.1, the 454 would still have quite a bit more torque.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
When I had my 85 pick up I was going to do a 454 but couldn't afford it back then. But yeah in order to do a swap it's easier to get the whole vehicle and use what you need. I got lots of friend that rob stuff also. Not much goes to waste.

rAiN_Twist

Reaction score
This is going to make all the LS fans mad, but... Lol. The LS wasn't made for trucks, that's just it. If you get a LS motor just to have a LS motor, and don't race it. It's fine, they are good motors. As soon as you start putting load on it, they are still good... For a short period of time. The LS motor was made for cars for a reason. Some dip sh*t at GM thought it would be a good idea to throw them in trucks. Fine and dandy if you have a pocket full of money. All they do is sling parts. Like I said they are good motors, just not the best design.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n