97 Yukon 4wd LS Swap or replace 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGreen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've searched through this forum and haven't found a thread where someone has successfully swapped an LS into a 97 Yukon (or similar Tahoe). My 5.7 is suffering with low oil pressure and high miles. Is it better to just swap the 5.7 with a new 5.7, or perhaps 383 stroker, is it worth what it will take to LS swap this thing? My gut says stay 5.7 for the ease of the replacement, but if the LS is a better engine, is it better long range to do the swap now? IF there is a thread where this has been discussed, please share.
Thanks.
RG

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, I would do the new 5.7 and if you want a little better performance I cannot think of a better choice than Jasper Engines. They can custom build a 5.7 to your specs for a little more pop or make suggestions and tell you what to expect.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LS motors are nice, and fairly simple - hence the reason the first Gen motors go well past 300K. However, you open up the can of worms related to programming, communication, etc. I personally haven't done it, but know of some. I think like @OR VietVet stated, you could pop in a new plug and play setup and be back on the road in short order.

If this is not a daily driver, more of a fun truck, then the swap may be a cool project.....emphasis on project.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have the money needed and the patience, do the LS swap and be prepared, like @B-train said, for all the different systems that have to be addressed with doing that.

OP
OP
RGreen

RGreen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have the money needed and the patience, do the LS swap and be prepared, like @B-train said, for all the different systems that have to be addressed with doing that.
I've probably got more money than patience, and I don't have a lot of money. LOL I've watched a few videos where guys did the LS swap into a very similar vehicle as mine. Some of it is just a matter of getting the right pieces that need to be cobbled together. The rest is the electrical. That's the part I haven't priced out yet. I know the 5.7 is an easier swap, and I will talk to Jasper, as well as my local engine builder. There's a company that's been doing engines since 62 here in Jacksonville, FL near where I live. They have a good reputation and offer a warranty. Local saves shipping costs, turnaround time, etc...plus I have a 5.7 core already.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of simplest is best. LS motors are good but the 5.7 is good and the swap is a lot simpler and cheaper. I installed a lot of Jasper products when I had my shop and had great success with them. Great nationwide warranty and I always used the installation kit they sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019