2020 Tahoe LS 5.3L DOD Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevroletT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have a 2020 Chevy Tahoe LS with the 5.3l. The engine code is a L83, but I have seen that the 2019+ have a different design for the DOD plugs. Did they change the design on my block and it is technically a L84 and just called a L83? Also, the engine has a failing/collapsed lifter. My mechanic suggests to get a reman engine but all I hear is bad things about those. I feel like it would be safer to just delete the DOD on it and clean out the engine to get rid of any metal shavings

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are the quotes you have been getting for cam and lifter swap

OP
OP
C

ChevroletT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what are the quotes you have been getting for cam and lifter swap
Local Dealership quoted us $4,500 just to do the one lifter and no new cam. Other places it has been $3,500-$7,000. I’m really debating on doing the delete myself and save some money

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4500 is crazy. 5-6 wouldn't be bad if they swap the lifters, cam, other non dod parts and tune it with dod off. The problem is finding a reputable shop who knows what they're doing

OP
OP
C

ChevroletT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4500 is crazy. 5-6 wouldn't be bad if they swap the lifters, cam, other non dod parts and tune it with dod off. The problem is finding a reputable shop who knows what they're doing
Problem I have noticed around here is. All the shops that have good names and reputation’s, they don’t want to touch a DOD Delete kit. My only concern is if I do it myself, I want to order the right kit for it. BTR told me I just need to get the 2018 DOD delete kit since the engine is still a L83

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have a 2020 Chevy Tahoe LS with the 5.3l. The engine code is a L83, but I have seen that the 2019+ have a different design for the DOD plugs. Did they change the design on my block and it is technically a L84 and just called a L83? Also, the engine has a failing/collapsed lifter. My mechanic suggests to get a reman engine but all I hear is bad things about those. I feel like it would be safer to just delete the DOD on it and clean out the engine to get rid of any metal shavings
The 2019+ design applies to the full size trucks only with "Dynamic Fuel Management" versus "Active Fuel Management" used on 2014-2018 (and 2019 LD) full size trucks. For the full size SUVs, "Dynamic Fuel management" began to be used in 2021+ models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar