Liftgate not working, well here is a fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has broken 2x this year. I replaced once with OEM and once with an Amazon special. That makes 4 broken since I’ve owned this in 2.5yrs

the original is installed right now. I returned both of the broken lifts and got my money back

you’d think GM would have figured this out by now

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost count on mine, 7th maybe or 8th. This last one GM installed lasted 3 months
I usually dont care much when some things breaks, but when you pay $75k it better be good. I had some fall8ng off headliner issues in the past, dealer tried fixed 4 times and headliner flapping up and down. 5th time i took it to dealer, i had 5 gal gas container with me. And told service advisor, if you dont fix it this time im burning it down right here. The installed new headliner under warranty

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what kills these actuators/shock is cold weather, moisture getting on top where is motor and leaving liftgate open for more than 10 minutes. And dont try to stop liftgate by hand when it closing or opening by it self. It goes crazy after that. Also just replacing it sometimes doesnt fix issure, they needs to be reprogrammed, and in some cas3s module and or sensor replaced. GM did all that on mine, many times. And stll it goes bad. I miss my 07 Tahoe LTZ

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Update. Dealer says its corrosion in liftgate connector on top of liftgate. I found part # 84156191. Here is pics of "corrosion" bottom left corner. Funny part is they say it may be fix for this liftgate problem, it may be. So my extended warranty CNA dont cover corrosion and fix is $709, $135 for parts $574 for labor. I told him ok ill pay you $709, but if it start doing again, im bringing car and 5 gal of gas with me and burning right at your parking lot

IMG_4516.jpg

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of my failures were NOT corrosion. The lift itself stripped out and couldn’t handle the weight.

that is BS

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what takes 3hrs of labor? I can take that back panel off and repin the connector in <1hr

sounds like they’re taking you on a joy ride

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both upper and lower panels off before. Its like 10 min job. I think they wanted to charge me for diagnostic lol. I tild then ill get part and ill installed. And ill get it for $85. This steelership it known to charging people for random sh$t. I couldnt go to Laura GMC in IL across bridge since they were booked for 3 weeks and this Dave sinclair dealership was one that replaced motor 3 months ago so i took it to them. I also think its weight of tailgate that kills screw setup motor. A few years ago i took one apart. Took me 1 hour to get to darn motor. Its smaller than my RC moyor. I have no idea how that small motor can turn that heavy spring inside and lift liftgate
Also it maybe hinge or hinges not sitting right and binding while oppening

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Got car back. Dealer installed new harness 84156191, also replaced 5 pins on male side 85132609 that sits on roof side. Also installed new sh9ck motor and reprogram module, looks like module didnt know what to do when motor start oppening and closing. It works for now. Also dealer sealed new rubber plugs on new harness. Out of door $420. I told them ill pay you whatever just fix damn thing for good. Let see how long this fix gonna last

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New harness, didnt fix problem, its doing again. Its Liftgate Actuator like every other 10 times. If you leave liftgate ooen a fee times more than 5 min, Liftgate Actuator will go bad. Now i have to deal with GM dealrr again. This time ill demand a refund for harness that i paid last time

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu