Liftgate not working, well here is a fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 16 Denaly i had some problems with liftgate this pass winter. When cold after pressing any of 3 buttons or using feet yo open it it will just unlock and start raising a few inches than stop. Than a few dayo ago it started doing same thing but on wark weather. I never had problems liftgate opening and closing by it self because spoildr was hitting roof
Looks like GM update part # 84036214 Lift Cylinder to new part # 84306929. I didnt had time to mess with dealer and use warranty so i bought new one off ebay $120 shipped and install it my self. There is 7 small red retainers part # 11547026 if you broke them. You can get 10 of them on ebay for $12. Also if you mess up upper trim part # for black one is 84299959, they go by color. Around $50
Old one was opening and closing faster but it did slammer right before fully closed. New one is little bit slower but its quiter
Here is pics of new one installed on left and old one on right

20180622_203250.jpg 20180622_203304.jpg

Last edited:

daryl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine just went out on my 17 XL with 18k. Opens a few inches and stops. Or, lowers a few inches and stops. Super frustrating, as the one on my old (company car) 14 Escape with 111K still functions perfectly.

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well replqcement didnt last long either. After 4 lk miles lift gate started acting again. This time slam ******* bottom, lock and unlock right away. I think problem is me leaving lift gate open after unloading stuff from the back. So i guess close liftgate soon you are done

Undeserving

Mitch and Murray sent me.
Reaction score
all the more reason I am not happy they went away from the van doors. the lift gate is a bad design that offers nothing over the van doors yet comes with a slew of negatives. why chevy, why???

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the more reason I am not happy they went away from the van doors. the lift gate is a bad design that offers nothing over the van doors yet comes with a slew of negatives. why chevy, why???

Because it’s nice to stand under when raining. Works well when getting something out of or putting something into the back while it’s pouring, keeping the water off my lid.

cigarsmoker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with the power lift gate on my 2016 chevy suburban (~60K) only opening a few inches. Unable to open past the few inches manually either. I've ordered the replacement left actuator (84306929) and right strut (84183515). My question is how do you release the actuator to open the lift gate manually to allow for replacement? I've only been able to find information on older models (2007-2014) where they drill a small hole in the lift gate to release the hatch. Appreciate anyone's help.

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. Lift cylinder quit working 4 times and control module once. This power liftgate is joke. I miss my 07 Tahoe LTZ and power liftgate setup
Also i found out dont leave liftgate open for any long period and also water can leak into top of cylinder where motor is located. I opened one of bad cyliner and found corrosion due to water leak. One one of new replacement i put some cilycone around, water didnt leak any more into it but i left damn liftgate open a few times so quit again. So as soon you done with taking stuff from or into the trunk, close damn thing right away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sowegatahoe87