Liftgate not working, well here is a fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 83K miles mine is still good but if it goes out I would not even bother to fix it. I will open and close it manually just as law enforcement does.

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 83K miles mine is still good but if it goes out I would not even bother to fix it. I will open and close it manually just as law enforcement does.

Good luck. Its not easy to lift and close this liftgate when motor is bad like old liftgates without motor. You cant just slam it. To lock it you have to bring it down slowly and than it will lock it self. If you slam it it will never lock. Maybe these SUVs without power liftgate option are easy to operate but bustet power ones are not

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder what else they changed for other years, my '15 is still going good.
i leave mine open as long as i need to.

fingers crossed it stays working well ;)

BigIan279

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope! I have a 2016 Denali has done 45K miles and the second set have just failed about 18 months after the first set being replaced under warranty. I'm hoping the "stealer" might do it under extended warranty - I'll find out tomorrow. Do you think its anything to do with high are temperatures and dust as I live in Abu Dhabi. :confused:

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing helpful I can add......but I wish Chevy would make the tailgate like the land cruisers. Have the bottom half fold down like a tailgate so I can sit on it and the upper lift up. Oh man that would be sweeeeeet!!

I have 95K miles on mine and the lift gate still works, for now. Often I have to give it a little pull when it starts to open to break that seal. I rarely use the overhead buttons up front to open or close it. Maybe that initial opening when its sort of stuck is ******* the motors after time?

stallion_412

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Try spraying your seal with silicone spray. Should keep it fairly loose.
Yep, use super lube or even WD-40. Spray the hinges, the cylinders, basically any part that moves. This alone will often fix a door that opens partway and then starts to close again.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so is there no easy DIY fix?

when I bought it the Dealer replaced them as part of the purchase. Last week the damn thing went out. Exactly like last time. Sometimes if I help it out it'll work 1-2 times perfectly. Then mess up.

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since last year, liftgate quit 3 more times, 42k right now. Wtf. Im tired of this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9