Lifter tick help will mmo or motor flush help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted y’all’s opinions and real world experiences with trying to salvage some ticking lifters. A couple weeks ago she started doing it I replaced both 02 sensors as one was bad along with new vacuum lines as one was cracked and I diddnt have the other hooked up to the aftermarket intake I ended up drilling a hole putting a bushing and nipple on it and hose clamped it. Seemed to fix it but after driving it back to work 4 hr away things went well I was relieved but as soon as I went to the store 20 min away it came back. Pissed off i give it the old Italian tune up I put it in first gear and ran it up the road pegged out about 5-6k rpm and it cleared it up went to drive it again today 20 min and it came back it seems to do it more so short drives but does it here and there on the long trips. Me being a tight *** could I throw a bottle of motor flush or marvel mystery oil in it and try to clean the motor out along with changing the oil and filter a couple times before I leave Friday? I definitely don’t want to be driving hrs away with it doing this and possibly getting broke down in the middle of nowhere on my ride home. Some crowd said tranny fluid helps also my buddy said switch to valvoline but I’ve always ran royal purple and a quart of Lucas with k&n filters since I got it with 245,000 miles give or take it’s got about 310,000 on the dash now nothings every Been replaced internally that I know of anyways. I know I know with the mileage look for a new engine I have a 6.0 my buddy’s got he’s going to let me get cheap but it also needs cam and lifters but only has 100,000 miles on it. What’s y’all’s opinions on this? Thank you for any input or advice

I like that "Old Italian tune up" LOL. That's what I did one time I got off a highway towing my boat and I heard a loud lifter noise. I pulled into a lot to check the oil level and investigate. Everything looked fine so I revved the f'k out of it in Park and it went away and it's been fine ever since. That was like 2 years ago.

I had to do the same thing after I replaced the VLOM with a new one. Truck was missing and running like shit and I got pissed off and revved it to high hell and it was fine after that LOL. Like the VLOM needed to be purged of air or something.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that "Old Italian tune up" LOL. That's what I did one time I got off a highway towing my boat and I heard a loud lifter noise. I pulled into a lot to check the oil level and investigate. Everything looked fine so I revved the f'k out of it in Park and it went away and it's been fine ever since. That was like 2 years ago.

I had to do the same thing after I replaced the VLOM with a new one. Truck was missing and running like shit and I got pissed off and revved it to high hell and it was fine after that LOL. Like the VLOM needed to be purged of air or something.

The old Italian Tune-up works every time!
1662584421229.png

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hey man my best friend had a old 4.8 with 200,000 on it with a horrible lifter tap and was the whole reason he got the 6.0 for that truck and before he pulled it out he literally stuck a brick on the gas and let that thing red line till she ran out of gas or blew up. He wanted it to blow up… But she ran out of gas and when we started it back up no more lifter tap we pulled that 4.8 out and sold it to my buddy Cameron who put it in his Camaro and has just now pulled it back out for the 6.2 100,000-150,000 miles later and more burnouts doughnuts and red lines then you could ever imagine between the two of them and she still is going strong lol
The old Italian Tune-up works every time!
View attachment 380125

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
It has been i did it within a month of having it along with stabilitrack and traction control off rear 02 tuned out for future exhaust work and adjusted all the shift points tightened things up as much as we could without breaking anything lol I baby my rig but when I get on it red line or get mad with it I run her like I want her to blow through the hood.
Got the guru in eastern nc for tuning Jamie Parker is the only dude I trust he’s been doing this for 10 years or longer anything from stock trucks to full blown race cars grew up in the drag racing world
Well unless the Rev limit in park parameter has been changed, it's still the same.

Just saying, I wouldn't consider revving to 4k as "revving the **** out of it" like stated above, lol

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Tahoes set around 6200 I think and the Silverado is at 65 or 6700 but she’s got a mildly built motor with a high rpm cam that makes power in the top end the harder you turn her the more she wants to pull the truck has thrown the belt off a couple times the Tahoe ain’t but you can hear it wanting to in the upper rpm the trucks a lot quicker then my Tahoe though

Reaction score
Let me clear up my previous post.

I was being a bit sarcastic.

It is not good for the engine to free rev up to near redline. That's why the factory (and I'm sure many tuners) set the Rev limiter in park as low as they do.

Revving under load is what I meant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts