LED replacement tail lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Looks like it's time to order a resistor. A previous post said only one was required if I read it correctly.

Just ordered mine off of Ebay. They should be here in a couple of days. Those of you that have added these to take care of the cruise issue, can you show how you hooked these into the brake wiring please?

Thanks.
rps20200407_204947_262.jpg Screenshot_20190114-105020_Photos.jpg 20151121_184703.jpg IMAG1236_417128163095510.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thank you Tony! I greatly appreciate greatly as I'm sure others do as well. Unfortunately, wiring isn't my strongest suit.
This one is pretty easy. Almost impossible to mess up.
Just make sure you secure the resistor on something that won't melt. They do get hot.

Reaction score
This one is pretty easy. Almost impossible to mess up.
Just make sure you secure the resistor on something that won't melt. They do get hot.
Do those sealed, black box resistor packs that come with some of the aftermarket LED tail lights get hot also? Because I always just use the 3m tape that's on them to stick them to the back of the light housing. This is on my GMT900, but same principle I'm guessing?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Do those sealed, black box resistor packs that come with some of the aftermarket LED tail lights get hot also? Because I always just use the 3m tape that's on them to stick them to the back of the light housing. This is on my GMT900, but same principle I'm guessing?
I'm not really sure. I've never had a set myself, just the bulbs themselves.

OP
OP
F

Flingflanger

Reaction score
OP here. I just wanted to say, yea you have to add the extra resistors. I actually bought and installed the recommended control module as well. And imo that was unnecessary since it works just fine with the resistors. They were like $8 on ebay.

Also I only had to add 1 resistor, not one on each side in case anyone was wondering. And I just used T-taps instead of fancy soldering. :D

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP here. I just wanted to say, yea you have to add the extra resistors. I actually bought and installed the recommended control module as well. And imo that was unnecessary since it works just fine with the resistors. They were like $8 on ebay.

Also I only had to add 1 resistor, not one on each side in case anyone was wondering. And I just used T-taps instead of fancy soldering. :D
I was a dodo head and didn’t realize that the resistors added on the tails were only on the turn signals, until I looked at the photo you posted of your tails.... lol. I was like “oh maybe I should check mine to see if my resistors are in the same place....” :doh2:

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
Usually the sun . See the roof and hood paint fading and chipping almost every time in south states, tx, socal, fl, ...
I’m sure a regular wax would help tremendously, but you’d have to be the original owner from 02 lol

Agreed, the sun causes the damage to the clearcoat. My 2005 Yukon XL has been garage kept since day 1. The paint looks like it did day 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick