Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ernesto2009

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got a 2009 chevy tahoe, The taillights are not on and it looks like my lights aren’t on from the back, meaning it’s blacked out at night, I press the brake and the lights turn off or when i use the turn signals they turn on fine, it’s just The running lights don’t work, have any ideas?? I got my windshield tinted recently and i don’t know if that had anything to do with it? much appreciated

OP
OP
E

Ernesto2009

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve checked them but they work fine even the third brake light doesn’t turn on at night, when i brake it does

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I’ve checked them but they work fine even the third brake light doesn’t turn on at night, when i brake it does
There’s a pedal sensor on the brake pedal that could be related or causing the issue? When mine went bad my cruise diddnt work but look it up it may cause that type of issue as well

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do the front parking lights illuminate when the headlights are on?

With the headlights on check the voltage (in and out) and the pin fitment on fuses 26 & 27 in the underhood fusebox:

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

There is also a Park Lamp relay in that fusebox to check.

If all that checks good, remove one of the taillights and check for voltage and ground on the taillight circuit. If no voltage there but the fusebox tests were good, then pull the top of the fusebox out and check the underneath connectors for corrosion, pin fitment, and rodent damage.

The high mount brake light is not a running light, and is on its own circuit.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 2009 chevy tahoe, The taillights are not on and it looks like my lights aren’t on from the back, meaning it’s blacked out at night, I press the brake and the lights turn off or when i use the turn signals they turn on fine, it’s just The running lights don’t work, have any ideas?? I got my windshield tinted recently and i don’t know if that had anything to do with it? much appreciated

OK, you're not being clear here....

What does this mean, the part I highlighted in yellow?
You say it looks like your lights aren't on from the back, but then they turn off when you press the brake? They can only turn off if they're on at some point. So which is it?
Do the tail lights go on when you turn on the headlights?
If the lights go off when you press the brake, how were they on?

The third brake light does not turn on at night. It only goes on when the brake pedal is pressed.
Did you physically remove the bulbs and check that both filaments are intact?

OP
OP
E

Ernesto2009

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do the front parking lights illuminate when the headlights are on?

With the headlights on check the voltage (in and out) and the pin fitment on fuses 26 & 27 in the underhood fusebox:

View attachment 421484
View attachment 421485

There is also a Park Lamp relay in that fusebox to check.

If all that checks good, remove one of the taillights and check for voltage and ground on the taillight circuit. If no voltage there but the fusebox tests were good, then pull the top of the fusebox out and check the underneath connectors for corrosion, pin fitment, and rodent damage.

The high mount brake light is not a running light, and is on its own circuit.
I just checked and the front parking lights do not turn on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo