L31 Vortec with TBI - Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. So I've done a bunch of research on throwing an L31 Vortec motor (96+) into a 95 OBS and bolting up the GM Performance manifold that converts the standard TBI to the Vortec heads. It looks like there is a bit of modification needed as well as updating to better fuel delivery and getting a custom chip built to handle the new fuel delivery/air delivery with the stock 95 ECM..
So after all of this... is it worth it? I mean, why not just rebuild the 95 TBI motor, mod it to achieve a little extra umph, work through the ultimate TBI mods and get it setup pure and call it good with a brand new 95 L05 under the hood?

What's your thoughts? For a person who isnt racing, just some light offroading, trail runs, exploration type vehicle. Reliability, longevity, with a little bit of power to pull up the hills and through the dirt.

I'm about to put a new motor in this 95 Tahoe of mine, just cant decide if I want to go through the extra work needed to swap in the L31 Vortec or if I should just build up a good standard L05 and drive it until the cows come home..? Any help, advice, opinions, and all that is appreciated! :)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
unless the manifold is carb exempt forget it. however if you want to put a vortec complete power-train of the same drive type from engine compartment to tail pipe that is completely cali legal and leaves you open for other possibilities. you would have to grab all the vortec harnesses. and may need to make some minor rework on the bulk head connector but the harnesses should be easy to do. of course the quickest and maybe cheapest is to just put a new L05 block in. http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance/809/12568758/10002/-1

OP
OP
Chevrolado

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless the manifold is carb exempt forget it. however if you want to put a vortec complete power-train of the same drive type from engine compartment to tail pipe that is completely cali legal and leaves you open for other possibilities. you would have to grab all the vortec harnesses. and may need to make some minor rework on the bulk head connector but the harnesses should be easy to do. of course the quickest and maybe cheapest is to just put a new L05 block in. http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance/809/12568758/10002/-1
Ah, I was under the impression that the manifold would work fine for carb issues. I think it still retained all necessary CARB legal options that you could carry over from a 95 and still be able to use it all the same on the top but basically just swap out from heads down to newer type. :eek:
Oh and thanks for the link. That is the L05 I was looking at. I'm at the debate portion here where I need to decide.. L31 and prepare myself for modifications and computer chip and such to get it to work CARB legal and to run properly, or L05 in it and update the top side to make sure I have a smooth running fresh new motor..

Yes it's worth it.
Have you done it? Know people who've done it?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
edelbrock did have a power pack that had heads intake and came that was all carb legal all the way up to 1995. very pricey. lmc charges a sac for it.

OP
OP
Chevrolado

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
edelbrock did have a power pack that had heads intake and came that was all carb legal all the way up to 1995. very pricey. lmc charges a sac for it.

Yeah I was looking into those last night as a possible option of bringing up the power on the standard 95 motor but if Im reading correctly, the cam used says not for computer controlled. I have a feeling they arent CARB/SMOG/CA Emissions friendly power packs.. :nono:

OP
OP
Chevrolado

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SunLit.. you are a life saver! When I get this new motor all situated.. I want to meet you and buy you a beer or two kind sir!

The Edelbrock 5.7L power pack looks like it will be the perfect setup for what Im doing. I gathered all of the part numbers and setup and walked into my speed shop that is building my motor and we ran through everything, they called their Edelbrock contact directly and got all the info and they are flashing me the free computer chip to match that whole pack of heads, cam, and manifold and we're going standard 350 on bottom end. Placed the order and we'll be getting started next week!

Thanks again man. Finally worked it all out with the help of your linked direction above. This option will work out for what I want WAY better than dealing with the L31 swap and modifications/hassle for the time and money I have. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts