L31 Vortec with TBI - Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chevrolado

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did this setup work for you? i believe i am in the same situation as you were. i dont need nothing too fast but i would like something that would hold up for trail riding or a bit of off road...i have a 95 yukon z71 5.7, not to sure one how to go about rebuilding my 350 tbi...

I didnt end up going Vortec L31 (original idea of this thread).. I went pre-vortec replacement and bumped it up into Edelbrock goodies instead. Much easier to deal with the standard 95 gear rather than swapping all of the computer and fuel provisions that changed from 95 to 96 Vortec.
And yeah, just use your existing TBI like Sunlit said. :)

Monstar_est87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very sweet swap... Sunlit definitely pointed in the right direction... Ive got fam in LBC I'd definitely like to check out ur rig next time I'm in ur neck...

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt end up going Vortec L31 (original idea of this thread).. I went pre-vortec replacement and bumped it up into Edelbrock goodies instead. Much easier to deal with the standard 95 gear rather than swapping all of the computer and fuel provisions that changed from 95 to 96 Vortec.
And yeah, just use your existing TBI like Sunlit said. :)

You don't need to swap everything, you can swap just the long block and run a different intake.

SmittyJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey what part number of Edelbrock top end kit and TB did you use on your build? I have a 94 K1500 and I've been thinking about the exact same thing as you. I wanted to go with the L31 because it was vortec and has hydralic cam but if I could just do a whole new L05 that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Chevrolado

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the part numbers I used were from this graphed pack:

350-3704.jpg

They dont offer the exhaust any longer. So I just got the cam, heads, and manifold and then they gave me a piggyback chip for my ECM to match the new parts. :)

Good luck.

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow really woooow great work no I am sorry amazing nice..

By the I have a friend who is looking at a a TBI 350 engine he has a 454 engine or I should say he did the swap to the 454 carburetor but the engine heat is great so after much of repeating how great is the 350 now he is willing to swab back but I have to help him on how to get more (safe) power out of the carburetor 350 engine or TBI

the truck is a suburban 1500 I think 98 model (last year foe the square body models)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
True about the edelbrock exhaust but LMC is selling the HEDMAN headers equivalent for the tbi at about $650. Find it cheaper somewhere else if possible.

OP
OP
Chevrolado

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I ended up ordering a set of SMOG legal (cause CA is crazy that way) FlowTech shorty headers for it. I like em.
Bought the standard black ones for around $300 or so. Then paid another 250 for ceramic dipping coating.

Now I need to figure out how to keep my header bolts from backing out as often as they do.. Hah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094