Is it possible to keep truck too long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick10Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tahoe bought brand new. Runs great with 160k miles but starting to have issues .. nothing major.. like motor mount, oil leaks, transmission cooler leaks, side mirrors, heated seat. I take care of my cars and use them a long time. Last car had 160k miles too. Wondering.. do we cross a point of no return where car is of little resale value and we should just as well keep it till it’s worth nearly nothing? Or should we sell when truck/car still has a decent life remaining so it’s worth a decent selling price? Feel like I’ve crossed the point and little resale value left. Maybe I should consider the postponement of the depreciation hit I take when buying another car. Thoughts?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at least with this Gen and up, 100% my opinion you're passed it.

they seem to completely fall apart about now, it's totally up to you if you're willing to do the work yourself to refresh everything, sure. put some money in it and have a solid truck that the look has aged well for another 150k. or if you're paying a shop, dump it before the bill is bigger than the truck is worth.

sadly there's a good change it will end up in a lot somewhere, someone that doesn't know the 150k mile timer has popped and will be posting a thread asking what do to with the truck he just bought a year from now.

this message board is depressing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, I would agree on the value has dropped, the vehicle however is not going to fall apart all of a sudden
fix it or sell it for what you can and move on
I think I have around 165k on mine, no real issue's that I didn't cause, I have no plans to get rid of it. I have maintained it well and I fuilly expect to get many more years out of it.
still paying off a 16 I bought for the wife then I might start looking for a 2020 and that will likely be the last generation GM I ever buy and might pass this one on to the oldest offspring....
motor mounts are common the fix is to use a hummer mount
oil leaks just need new seals
mirrors can be repaired fairly easy, usually the gear strips that's a easy fix.
heated seats the grid breaks, it can be replaced.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where your vehicle is at is about the low end of my entire fleet. I wouldn't let 160K deter you from keeping it.

The value that your vehicle brings now is letting you save up what you’d make in monthly payments on a newer vehicle and bank it away.

Keep up on the maintenance and it should last you a good while longer. The rate of depreciation is almost flat at this point so difference in what you can get out of it now versus 2 years from now will be negligible on the private market.

Last edited by a moderator:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I was in a similar sitch w/ my 08 YXL @ 140 clicks. I loved it but realized if I had to replace a motor or trans I’d really only do that if I had a non AFM, e85 Esky.

So I shopped for 6-9 mo and found the unicorn 09 Esky in TX w/ 140k. Sold the 08. After 4 years of ownership just replaced the trans, motor mounts, front diff bushes, pan gasket & oil pump O ring + a few more. $5.8k later it didn’t bug me a bit. It was what I really wanted.

With the swap options on your Tahoe, like a direct drop in of a 6.0L Reg gas 360hp L96 or LY6 w/ an e85 option or, if you don’t already have it, an upgrade to a hi/lo xfer case, you’ve already have one of the best platforms out there with parts and upgrades galore.

I have another vehicle I upgraded the supercharger on at 100k mi to add 80hp on a 150hp motor. At 200k I rebuilt the 1.8L to 1.9, ported, polished the heads & port matched the exh mani to up it to a reliable 250hp. I take care of my stuff too. If it’s what you really want then you’ll be ok keeping it.

Carlos Sanchez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My beautiful old '98 Burb was a Manitoba Hydro fleet vehicle in it's previous life and very well maintained.
The power train never died but it just rusted away... later at highway speeds the rusted out floor caused the floormats to float up on a cushion of air as I drove along!

I still couldn't part with it so I gifted it to my son who has more energy than me to work on it. He was my maintenance guy who never got paid. Now he gets to put it back on the road after fixing it up, without needing a fresh safety 'cuz of the family transfer.

Looking fwd to my new PPV but I sure miss that old girl!!

Attachments

• 98brb.jpg
    98brb.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 3

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tahoe bought brand new. Runs great with 160k miles but starting to have issues .. nothing major.. like motor mount, oil leaks, transmission cooler leaks, side mirrors, heated seat. I take care of my cars and use them a long time. Last car had 160k miles too. Wondering.. do we cross a point of no return where car is of little resale value and we should just as well keep it till it’s worth nearly nothing? Or should we sell when truck/car still has a decent life remaining so it’s worth a decent selling price? Feel like I’ve crossed the point and little resale value left. Maybe I should consider the postponement of the depreciation hit I take when buying another car. Thoughts?
I’d say fix and keep it. My Tahoe has over 400,000 miles on it now and I’m just now about to swap the motor out in it
My previous Silverado had 240,000 miles my old cateye had 230,000 my 99 had over 200,000 and my 97 had over 230,000 my in-laws suburban (05) has over 400,000 miles on it and his vette has over 200,000 these engines will last a long damn time with proper maintenance and care if you like the car and don’t care about reselling it while it’s got lower mileage I’d opt to keep it

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in a similar sitch w/ my 08 YXL @ 140 clicks. I loved it but realized if I had to replace a motor or trans I’d really only do that if I had a non AFM, e85 Esky.

So I shopped for 6-9 mo and found the unicorn 09 Esky in TX w/ 140k. Sold the 08. After 4 years of ownership just replaced the trans, motor mounts, front diff bushes, pan gasket & oil pump O ring + a few more. $5.8k later it didn’t bug me a bit. It was what I really wanted.

With the swap options on your Tahoe, like a direct drop in of a 6.0L Reg gas 360hp L96 or LY6 w/ an e85 option or, if you don’t already have it, an upgrade to a hi/lo xfer case, you’ve already have one of the best platforms out there with parts and upgrades galore.

I have another vehicle I upgraded the supercharger on at 100k mi to add 80hp on a 150hp motor. At 200k I rebuilt the 1.8L to 1.9, ported, polished the heads & port matched the exh mani to up it to a reliable 250hp. I take care of my stuff too. If it’s what you really want then you’ll be ok keeping it.
Vw?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d say fix and keep it. My Tahoe has over 400,000 miles on it now and I’m just now about to swap the motor out in it
My previous Silverado had 240,000 miles my old cateye had 230,000 my 99 had over 200,000 and my 97 had over 230,000 my in-laws suburban (05) has over 400,000 miles on it and his vette has over 200,000 these engines will last a long damn time with proper maintenance and care if you like the car and don’t care about reselling it while it’s got lower mileage I’d opt to keep it
This makes me happy lol. I can only hope to get to 400k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019