Is a Black Bear Tune worth it with a completely stock engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exzelz

Reaction score
I have a 2007 5.3 Tahoe 2WD as my daily driver

I am considering getting a Black Bear Tune for my truck, the engine is completely stock. I do have a Range AFM disabler installed.

I was first considering the Scan Cable tune cause it was relatively cheap, but I wouldn’t want to be without my ECM. Then I looked at the AutoCal but the price is steep but what’s getting me is that it’s all email based and I can reuse it.

Is one recommended over the other? I love the price tag of the Scan Cable tune, but I love the convenience of the AutoCal and would I notice a big difference in drivability even though I have a stock engine?

I am also stuck debating wether I want to get a Black Bear Tune or an AR as my birthday gift hahah

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is a Black Bear Tune worth it with a completely stock engine?
L YES. Let me say again: L YES.
Doubt you'd notice if only the engine got tuned, until the MpGs improved, or you felt stronger accelerations.
When you give your VIN to BlackBear, he should be able to say whether you have an ECM & a TCM, or just a PCM.

Engine Control Module = ECM
Trans Control Module = TCM
Powertrain Control Module = PCM

I recommend you get whichever tunes BOTH your engine and transmission.
You WILL notice, almost immediately if the transmission gets tuned -
Unless you drive like you're trying to save gas ... then again, that would be a different type of transmission tune ...
Let me explain ...

OP
OP
exzelz

exzelz

Reaction score
L YES. Let me say again: L YES.
Doubt you'd notice if only the engine got tuned, until the MpGs improved, or you felt stronger accelerations.
When you give your VIN to BlackBear, he should be able to say whether you have an ECM & a TCM, or just a PCM.

Engine Control Module = ECM
Trans Control Module = TCM
Powertrain Control Module = PCM

I recommend you get whichever tunes BOTH your engine and transmission.
You WILL notice, almost immediately if the transmission gets tuned -
Unless you drive like you're trying to save gas ... then again, that would be a different type of transmission tune ...
Let me explain ...
It would be both an ECM and a TCM tune

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good news. The most immediately noticed and appreciated thing about a tune is the transmission's eagerness to shift.

GM provided two different shift patterns: Normal mode & Tow / Haul mode.
GM programmed Normal mode to let you POSSIBLY get 14MpG city & 20MpG hiway - assuming you drive like gas is $9 a gallon.
BORE RING.

Once you notice that the transmission shifts very reluctantly, you press the Tow / Haul button.
Initially, ever so slightly more fun, but you soon get how it protects the powertrain from most leadfootery.
Still, it does seem a bit more fun than Normal mode.

Now that my pcm is tuned:
My Normal mode shifts a wee bit more eagerly than GM's. (I need discouraging, but not quite so much as GM provided.)
Still, if I dragraced another '02 Tahoe Z71 4WD with GM's OE tune, mine'd upshift at WOT 100RpM AFTER the other one, in each gear.
I win, just barely, but every time.
If we're both rolling at the same speed, and we somehow both stomp the gas simultaneously, mine'd downshift sooner and likely to a deeper gear than the other one.
I win, barely, but every time.
Driven sedately, however, my 4L60E actually stays a lil bit cooler than GM's OE tune. That usually goes unnoticed by most ...

Since I neither Tow nor Haul, my Tow / Haul mode is tuned like a Performance mode.
On the very rare occasion that I want or 'need' to make haste in a hurry, I press the Tow / Haul button ...
and I wish I had 4.10 axles ... but at least the 4L60E is TRYING ITS GOTTDAMNDEST to make up for not having 4.10.
Also the WOT upshifts will occur 250RpM later than GM said, should I decide to keep my foot down.
When I rarely loan the truck to my very good friend, he knows NOT to touch the Tow / Haul button ... I hope ...

There are a myriad other things done to it - like overheat management, which I hope I never need, but it's nice to know it kicks in sooner.

So long as the tuner has a trustworthy reputation, you are wasting your time not getting tuned.
The better the pre-tune conversation you have with your tuner, the more you'll wonder why you waited.

I also heartily recommend 4.10, but that is another conversation, which would also require a tune ...

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More important is that your tune will be written to suit your taste(s), like a Five Guys burger.
Your burger will likely be somewhat different than mine, yet we'll both be glad we didn't settle for WacDonells.

And then you'll have to convince someone else to get tuned ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts