Keeping coolant and transmission temps under control when towing in the summer heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mine installed... I mounted the top of it like you did to the metal inner
bumper.. I used the license plate holes to secure the bottom of it..
Just got some M5 x 60 mm ss screws and nut from HD.. and used plastic/rubber
spacers to get the right distance.
When I ordered mine, I didn't realize it came with hose/fittings so I ordered them..
I do like the 3/8 compression x hose barb derale AN looking aluminum fittings better
than the brass 3 piece ones that came in the kit..
But you won't need anything else to mount it if you don't want to.
I didn't use the inline thermostat to control it...
I just installed a rocker switch by my console to turn it on when I want to

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got mine installed... I mounted the top of it like you did to the metal inner
bumper.. I used the license plate holes to secure the bottom of it..
Just got some M5 x 60 mm ss screws and nut from HD.. and used plastic/rubber
spacers to get the right distance.
When I ordered mine, I didn't realize it came with hose/fittings so I ordered them..
I do like the 3/8 compression x hose barb derale AN looking aluminum fittings better
than the brass 3 piece ones that came in the kit..
But you won't need anything else to mount it if you don't want to.
I didn't use the inline thermostat to control it...
I just installed a rocker switch by my console to turn it on when I want to
Awesome, thank you Foggy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Fantastic! Thank you! You addressed several of the questions in my head, including how you modded the lower grille for airflow. Your timing is perfect as well - I’ll be installing the Derale this weekend.

Where did you end up tapping in for power? And did you have hoses fabbed up or use the ones that came with the unit?

The oe fuel pump fuse is not used in 08 and other years so i used a fuse tap and got ign on pwr there, The picture is bad but i used two 90 degree fittings to turn the lines and get them headed laterally towards the trans line connections. This aviods hacking the fascia impact foam. I did use the included ferrel line connections with success and no leaks whatsoever. Once again IMO you should try the cooler as a standalone and eliminate the radiator from the circuit. I am still running the radiator "pre heater" and feel it has a negative effect in the summer.

IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0120.JPG

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oe fuel pump fuse is not used in 08 and other years so i used a fuse tap and got ign on pwr there, The picture is bad but i used two 90 degree fittings to turn the lines and get them headed laterally towards the trans line connections. This aviods hacking the fascia impact foam. I did use the included ferrel line connections with success and no leaks whatsoever. Once again IMO you should try the cooler as a standalone and eliminate the radiator from the circuit. I am still running the radiator "pre heater" and feel it has a negative effect in the summer.

View attachment 277013 View attachment 277014 View attachment 277015
Once again, thank you. Very helpful. I ordered a fuse tap just now, and will take the same approach.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the cold case in my cart...
probably get in next pay check.

Also been running the Tru-Cool Max Transmission Cooler HD LPD4739 in front of the rad, might have to swap it for the Derale+fan when I have to fit my whipple intercooler behind the grille.

Glad I found this thread!

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the cold case in my cart...
probably get in next pay check.

Also been running the Tru-Cool Max Transmission Cooler HD LPD4739 in front of the rad, might have to swap it for the Derale+fan when I have to fit my whipple intercooler behind the grille.

Glad I found this thread!
The folks here are GOOD at helping spend your money.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the cooler installed today. I took your advice, John, and deleted the "cooler" in the radiator from the loop. I see that's the way Tom did it as well. The only problem I ran into was getting switched power. The #20 fuel pump fuse spot on my truck doesn't have power, even when the engine is running, so I ended up using an unswitched fuse (for the sunroof/roof light bar - it's a 30 amp circuit) in the block and using the fuse tap for that circuit. Not ideal, but unless anyone has a another idea for a switched circuit with the 5 amp capacity I need I can tap into, I'll roll with it for now. The cooler's thermostat is wired into the circuit so I shouldn't have any problems with parasitic drains.

Going to be towing in the mountains this weekend, so we'll see how it goes! I'm happy to have the Trucool 40K out from in front of the radiator.

upload_2021-4-25_22-13-57.png
upload_2021-4-25_22-14-15.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA