Kbuskill's 2008 Burb LTZ "MOD" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been taking logs with my Diablo sport tuner and sending them to Lew for my custom tune and he keeps telling me to use better gas because the ECM is seeing a lot of spark knock under acceleration. I have tried different stations with the same results... I am tuning the truck for 89 octane.

Exxon/Mobil 93 and Chevron 93 are tops right now. But since you have an LMG motor you can really clean things up by running E85 and enjoy the free horsepower and lower cents per mile. Use Gas Buddy to see who has E85 near you.

Mine makes 302 Rear Wheel Horsepower through the traps in the quarter mile. No pinging/detonation on 93 or E85.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Exxon/Mobil 93 and Chevron 93 are tops right now. But since you have an LMG motor you can really clean things up by running E85 and enjoy the free horsepower and lower cents per mile. Use Gas Buddy to see who has E85 near you.

Mine makes 302 Rear Wheel Horsepower through the traps in the quarter mile. No pinging/detonation on 93 or E85.

I finally found a Mobil station somewhat close to me and started using it but it would defeat the purpose of tuning for 89 octane if I were to fill up and log with 93 in the tank.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, tune it for 93, it's more better!

BlackBear basically gave me a mild 91 tune per my request. Timing is 19-20 degrees at idle, forgot at WOT. 40 maybe.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I know, tune it for 93, it's more better!

BlackBear basically gave me a mild 91 tune per my request. Timing is 19-20 degrees at idle, forgot at WOT. 40 maybe.

It's a big heavy long body Burb not a race car... lol

I have serious doubts that going from 89 tune to 93 tune would be a noticeable enough difference to make me want to pay the extra money every time I have to fill up the 30 gallon tank.... lol

There is no 91 octane anywhere near me.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It's a big heavy long body Burb not a race car... lol

I have serious doubts that going from 89 tune to 93 tune would be a noticeable enough difference to make me want to pay the extra money every time I have to fill up the 30 gallon tank.... lol

There is no 91 octane anywhere near me.
I don't have a BB tune, but the guy I used said there was only an 11hp difference tuned for 87 octane. This was for my truck with cam, long tubes etc. I'm running the 87 octane tune.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I don't have a BB tune, but the guy I used said there was only an 11hp difference tuned for 87 octane. This was for my truck with cam, long tubes etc. I'm running the 87 octane tune.

And on a 5,000+ pound truck... 11hp doesn't amount to squat... lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We Floridians are blessed with 93 octane as very few stations stock 91. If you run three tanks of 93 through your truck, you'll soon discover that it costs less per mile to use then the lower octane fuels as your gas mileage will increase. Top tiers fuels are also better for the fuel/intake system.

E85 costs even less to use per mile. Mine always weighs at least 6,300 pounds and that 11 horsepower equates to a tenth and 1 mph in the quarter mile. But more importantly to me, it results in greater fuel efficiency.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The goofball above me speaks the truth. I notice a few MPG increase when I run the good stuff, 89 even. It also doesn't knock when I'm romping on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons