Kbuskill's 2008 Burb LTZ "MOD" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Never does lmao. Cut, spit, cram. Good times.

I went ahead and pulled the Rosen out along with all of its wiring harnesses since the Kenwood should be delivered any time now.

I also went ahead and cut some of the plastic out to give me some more room and hopefully make the install easier.

Here is the first piece I cut out of the bottom...
rps20190718_151400_343.jpg
rps20190718_151428_987.jpg

Then I started up top... before...
rps20190718_151453_458.jpg

Removed this piece...
rps20190718_151614_468.jpg

More black plastic behind the grey...
rps20190718_151755_552.jpg

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I trimmed a little more just for good measure and this is the final result...
rps20190718_152007_167.jpg

I wanted to leave the square hole up top in order to support the back of the HU... plus there is not much to be gained beyond this point without cutting metal.

Now I hurry up and wait for UPS...

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I trimmed a little more just for good measure and this is the final result...
View attachment 227041

I wanted to leave the square hole up top in order to support the back of the HU... plus there is not much to be gained beyond this point without cutting metal.

Now I hurry up and wait for UPS...

You may end up cutting metal, fyi. Lol.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
You may end up cutting metal, fyi. Lol.

I hope not... the Kenwood I bought is the one that Crutchfield says fits my Burb... so I shouldn't have any issue I hope.

The Rosen had a ton of wiring harnesses and external door chime speaker and all and it fit in there without trimming anything so this new one should just about fall into place... lol

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I hope not... the Kenwood I bought is the one that Crutchfield says fits my Burb... so I shouldn't have any issue I hope.

The Rosen had a ton of wiring harnesses and external door chime speaker and all and it fit in there without trimming anything so this new one should just about fall into place... lol

Hoping for you, too. I have never dug around in there on mine, just read a lot of guys cutting that metal brace out of the way.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that I bought a Y-splitter for the OBD2 port under the dash...
rps20190718_154811_838.jpg

This way I can unscrew the original from the bottom of the dash and plug this into it and plug the OBD2 plug from the Kenwood into the one side and remount the other end that is designed to be mounted back to the bottom of the dash and it won't even look different than it did from the factory and I can still use my bluetooth adapter with the torque pro app on my phone if I need/want to.

I know i could have just spliced the two wires in behind the factory connector but i didn't want to hack up the trucks harness.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that I bought a Y-splitter for the OBD2 port under the dash...
View attachment 227045

This way I can unscrew the original from the bottom of the dash and plug this into it and plug the OBD2 plug from the Kenwood into the one side and remount the other end that is designed to be mounted back to the bottom of the dash and it won't even look different than it did from the factory and I can still use my bluetooth adapter with the torque pro app on my phone if I need/want to.

I know i could have just spliced the two wires in behind the factory connector but i didn't want to hack up the trucks harness.
I like that. I could use one of those.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 227045

I was able to cut the same plastic from my 08 Silverado and fit all the harnesses and adapters in by sliding them into areas below and to the side in the back. The stuff takes up a lot of room, and it has to be nestled into place as you slide the HU into place. I spliced into the OBD wires, but I’m pretty sure it was only one wire from the HU that connected to it.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I was able to cut the same plastic from my 08 Silverado and fit all the harnesses and adapters in by sliding them into areas below and to the side in the back. The stuff takes up a lot of room, and it has to be nestled into place as you slide the HU into place. I spliced into the OBD wires, but I’m pretty sure it was only one wire from the HU that connected to it.

That's my plan as well.

The Kenwood has 2 wires... high and low for the canbus system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia