Jet throttle body or Hypertech max energy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did enclose the rectangle opening and It did feel a bit better acceleration wise with the rectangle cutout that I did when I start out in the cool mornings of Portland, Oregon compared to starting out with the box fully enclosed. My feeling is winter driving with a cutout like I did would be ok, but for hot summers enclosing it like factory would be better.....my question now is why do I see cold air intake kits like the K and N FIPK that have the opening like I did and also the top ten CIA ranked by auto anything for Tahoes have an opening facing frontwards like I did....? here is the link.... http://m.autoanything.com/air-intakes/top-10-cold-air-intakes

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When GM engineered the intake, it wasn't for the most power or flow. it was also for noise reduction. also the placement and design of our intakes is also the happy medium between weather that has an average temp of 100+ deg and weather that has i temp of 0 deg and below.

This. There certainly is improvement to be had over the stock setup. Cutting a hole open to the engine bay is not one of them.

Also, insulating the box and duct isn't necessary as the air isn't in there long enough to be heated and there are no good ways for the heat to be conducted from the box and/or duct. It would need fins (heat sinks) or at least other obstructions in the path of air flow. The smooth inside surfaces are a very poor conductor of heat to the fast-moving air.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For any of you with naturally-aspirated engines that think you need more airflow than what the stock airbox or throttle body affords, or that it will net you any HP gains, I'd like to point out that Whipple utilizes the stock airbox and TB along with a high flow air filter and clean-flowing tube between the box and TB for their supercharger applications. If it's good enough for 600 HP or more, I guarantee it flows more than enough for 300-350. I'd love to see the dyno proof @justinesky that you see any increase in power. There are also dyno results here on the forum showing that the best CAI's result in, at the most, 2 HP gains. That's not a "noticeable increase in power" in my book. Here's mine. BTW I also have headers and a cam and it still flows good enough.

Yes. The stock 12"x12"-ish filter is NOT a hindrance of volume to the ~3.5" mouth of the throttle body on a stock motor and, apparently, not on a supercharged one as well.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because they're selling you stuff.
X2. I had one and it didn't do anything but make the intake sound better, and when I installed my supercharger Whipple wanted the stock airbox (unmodified) with a high-flow filter and their tube. That tells me something.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have in my 2011 5.3 Tahoe is an AEM dry flow with a modified airbox (a hole cut facing the front and I insulated it to keep heat out). What would you suggest next a jet throttle body or a Hypertech Max 2.0 please no suggestions of a bb tune please....just between the jet throttle body and Hypertech max energy tune. Suggestions please....

Neither :)

Save your money for a mod worth while.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this to be because the fender still gets a lot of its air from the engine bay. if you think about it, all the open spots to the fender point to the motor and right behind the headlight. When GM engineered the intake, it wasn't for the most power or flow. it was also for noise reduction. also the placement and design of our intakes is also the happy medium between weather that has an average temp of 100+ deg and weather that has i temp of 0 deg and below.

I don't know about all that. Like homeboy said, his supercharger utilizes the factory inlet duct, per their specs. If there is a better place to draw fresh air, their research would have provided this, I'm certain. Mr Whipple has no shortage of R&D.

I'm sure your thermometer works well for what you are trying to do but most of your $75+ OBD readers have a live data mode that provides the IAT being picked up by the PCM itself. If you have access to 1, why not try all 3 different intakes (your mod, your aftermarket, & the bone stock setup) and record the vehicle IAT with each. This is the only temp reading that counts when discussing air-intake & heat. Unfortunately the temp has cooled a great deal since last month but it's an idea. Parts are easy enough to swap out and you can get data for all temp/season. Then you will possess the material to debate as your heart desires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts