Hypertech Settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Insaino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to post my personal preferences for the Hypertech. I was surprised that there were only a few threads on the Internet addressing this so I just wanted to add my two cents for the 2015-2020 5.3 for others looking for ideas. Your preferences will probably vary.

Please don’t troll me with the usual “This tuner is better, should’ve gone with this”, etc. it’s just an SUV, I wasn’t interested in extracting every bit of power or even saving a couple dollars for that matter. I have another car for racing around and owning bitches. My application is driving around town and loading it down a couple times a year for long hunting trips.

I probably reflashed this thing at least a dozen times trying to find what suits my needs and preferences. Here’s what I settled on.

Engine tuning.
I have a tune for 89 octane and 91 octane that are otherwise mirrors of each other.
No real difference in power on either from stock, except under the curve where it is slightly noticeable.

rev limit-stock

top speed limit-adjusted for tire rating

V4 mode OFF <50 mph
This noticeably improved the feel of the truck driving around town.

shift points-stock
I played around with this one quite a bit. I tried raising it a few hundred RPM, but with my 308 gears and the wide difference between first and second it seemed to fall flat after the shift to second, then come back into power with raised shift points. I also tried lowering the shift points a bit but didn’t like it. Seemed like it was missing something. I settled on stock. For me, this was a good compromise and the best setting for staying in the power curve.

Shift firmness-tow
I screwed around with this quite a bit as well. I believe this would be the equivalent of 25%. I tried higher settings, but the part throttle (1/2 to 3/4) shifting seemed a little too harsh for my liking. The 25% at part throttle is much more smooth yet firm and comfortable for me, while the wide-open throttle shift is still very firm especially compared to stock.

Torque converter-street
This setting improved the overall drivability around town and up hills a lot. Less downshifting, and just more pleasant to drive. More power and response at slight throttle.

throttle response-track
No more laziness or Lag with part throttle inputs. Much more power with less throttle. I like it.

Shift response-performance
I initially had this on the track setting, but in spirited part throttle acceleration, I would get up to 35-45 miles an hour and then back off the throttle to stay within reasonable limits of the speed limit. It would hold the gear too long, then when I would back off the throttle it would shift a little too harsh even in the lowest shift firmness setting. (again, probably due to the 308 gears) The performance setting still allows you to have more downshifting with throttle input and hold the gear a lot longer than stock without being obnoxious.

I’ll give this tuner a thumbs up for my personal expectations and experience.

I haven’t clocked the mileage on a long trip or even a full tank around town yet, but I will report back if anyone is interested.

I like this forum, it is helped me a lot in doing little things to the truck. Thanks for everyone that has contributed.

2015 Tahoe LT
CAI Hypertech

Last edited:

BigBlueLB756

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put your recommendations in the 2016 today and are very happy with them. Much better than the way I had the trans adjusted previously. I did leave my AFM off fully, though.
Good job!

Christoph

Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to post my personal preferences for the Hypertech. I was surprised that there were only a few threads on the Internet addressing this so I just wanted to add my two cents for the 2015-2020 5.3 for others looking for ideas. Your preferences will probably vary.

Please don’t troll me with the usual “This tuner is better, should’ve gone with this”, etc. it’s just an SUV, I wasn’t interested in extracting every bit of power or even saving a couple dollars for that matter. I have another car for racing around and owning bitches. My application is driving around town and loading it down a couple times a year for long hunting trips.

I probably reflashed this thing at least a dozen times trying to find what suits my needs and preferences. Here’s what I settled on.

Engine tuning.
I have a tune for 89 octane and 91 octane that are otherwise mirrors of each other.
No real difference in power on either from stock, except under the curve where it is slightly noticeable.

rev limit-stock

top speed limit-adjusted for tire rating

V4 mode OFF <50 mph
This noticeably improved the feel of the truck driving around town.

shift points-stock
I played around with this one quite a bit. I tried raising it a few hundred RPM, but with my 308 gears and the wide difference between first and second it seemed to fall flat after the shift to second, then come back into power with raised shift points. I also tried lowering the shift points a bit but didn’t like it. Seemed like it was missing something. I settled on stock. For me, this was a good compromise and the best setting for staying in the power curve.

Shift firmness-tow
I screwed around with this quite a bit as well. I believe this would be the equivalent of 25%. I tried higher settings, but the part throttle (1/2 to 3/4) shifting seemed a little too harsh for my liking. The 25% at part throttle is much more smooth yet firm and comfortable for me, while the wide-open throttle shift is still very firm especially compared to stock.

Torque converter-street
This setting improved the overall drivability around town and up hills a lot. Less downshifting, and just more pleasant to drive. More power and response at slight throttle.

throttle response-track
No more laziness or Lag with part throttle inputs. Much more power with less throttle. I like it.

Shift response-performance
I initially had this on the track setting, but in spirited part throttle acceleration, I would get up to 35-45 miles an hour and then back off the throttle to stay within reasonable limits of the speed limit. It would hold the gear too long, then when I would back off the throttle it would shift a little too harsh even in the lowest shift firmness setting. (again, probably due to the 308 gears) The performance setting still allows you to have more downshifting with throttle input and hold the gear a lot longer than stock without being obnoxious.

I’ll give this tuner a thumbs up for my personal expectations and experience.

I haven’t clocked the mileage on a long trip or even a full tank around town yet, but I will report back if anyone is interested.

I like this forum, it is helped me a lot in doing little things to the truck. Thanks for everyone that has contributed.

2015 Tahoe LT
CAI Hypertech
Thanks for your write up on the Hypertech tune. Do you have any updates on your tune? I have the '15 Yukon 5.3L but it has the HD Tow package with 3:42s. Thinking about the same tune as yours.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good write up, i run the diablo intune... couldnt be happier ( and i have had a black bear before on a silverado). that said, the boxed can tuners i think do great for these vehicles.

i have my AFM off, throttle sensitivity increased by 20% and trans upshifts raised by 100-150 rpm....

this in my opinion corrected all the required emissions tuning crap that makes these things turds around town. my rig holds 1-3 just long enough not to lug around town, and accelerates nicely in relation to how MY foot position feels. i used to believe that you should just depress the throttle more...but after making this change, i can see why so many just run a throttle booster...although most think the added power

i run the 87 performance tune, unless being in a really hot enviroment occurs, these engines were designed to run on 87 ( that does get debated regularly)... but non the less, gasoline octanes very rarely increase actual power, but they can move the curve slightly

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I bought the Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 for my first Tahoe, a 2015 5.3L 4x4. I had my settings like yours, with exception to the the Torque Converter setting, which I kept stock.

When I traded in my 2015 on a 2018 6.2L Tahoe 4x4, Hypertech sent me a firmware update custom for the 6.2L Tahoe, that I flashed to it. The engine, speed, and rev limit options are the same, however there's no options to change any of the 10 speed trans settings, however I don't think I'd change anything with those settings anyway, I like how the 10 speed performs as is.

maxpsi

Reaction score
good write up, i run the diablo intune... couldnt be happier ( and i have had a black bear before on a silverado). that said, the boxed can tuners i think do great for these vehicles.

i have my AFM off, throttle sensitivity increased by 20% and trans upshifts raised by 100-150 rpm....

this in my opinion corrected all the required emissions tuning crap that makes these things turds around town. my rig holds 1-3 just long enough not to lug around town, and accelerates nicely in relation to how MY foot position feels. i used to believe that you should just depress the throttle more...but after making this change, i can see why so many just run a throttle booster...although most think the added power

i run the 87 performance tune, unless being in a really hot enviroment occurs, these engines were designed to run on 87 ( that does get debated regularly)... but non the less, gasoline octanes very rarely increase actual power, but they can move the curve slightly

I just ordered the Superchips Flashpaq. Between your response and Captain Insaino's response, I have a good starting point.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can say this, the last few GM SUVs i have had, i did a flash tuner installs on...the trans adjustments made the most difference in drivability and over all feel.

this one was the first one i tried the throttle input adjustment to, it also made a huge difference in in-town feel. i have always hated the gm shift schedule since the 6 speeds came along. they never put enough gearing behind them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas