Is This Okay to Use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was going through some boxes and found this 80W-90 GL 5 Gear Lube and can't remember what I originally bought it for. Can this be used on the Differential(s) on my '05 Yukon or should I use a synthetic blend? I may have bought this for my lawn tractors which I sold. Also, what's the capacity of the front and rear diffs?

20230912_104829.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was going through some boxes and found this 80W-90 GL 5 Gear Lube and can't remember what I originally bought it for. Can this be used on the Differential(s) on my '05 Yukon or should I use a synthetic blend? I may have bought this for my lawn tractors which I sold. Also, what's the capacity of the front and rear diffs?

View attachment 408434
I think the differentials take 75-80 might be a little too thick, correction 75-90

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be fine. You are in California so the low is what? 45 degrees? The 75w vs the 80w is cold weather stability/viscosity. If you were living where it got below freezing much i would say not to use it, but if you dont see freezing temperatures the 80 is fine. Hell ive run 85-140 in my truck in the summer because that was all i had. Short term but it did not cause any issues. The important part is the GL-5, denoting use in hypoid cut gear sets.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be fine. You are in California so the low is what? 45 degrees? The 75w vs the 80w is cold weather stability/viscosity. If you were living where it got below freezing much i would say not to use it, but if you dont see freezing temperatures the 80 is fine. Hell ive run 85-140 in my truck in the summer because that was all i had. Short term but it did not cause any issues. The important part is the GL-5, denoting use in hypoid cut gear sets.
LOL! Believe it or not where I'm at it's snowed a bit the last few years. So Yeah, it gets a bit below freezing. Plus we head over the summit to Tahoe and Reno once in a while during the snow. We lived in Reno before and it got down to 5⁰ F once. I had to repair a fence in that. No fun.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! Believe it or not where I'm at it's snowed a bit the last few years. So Yeah, it gets a bit below freezing. Plus we head over the summit to Tahoe and Reno once in a while during the snow. We lived in Reno before and it got down to 5⁰ F once. I had to repair a fence in that. No fun.
Well, I guess it is up to your discretion then. Personally, I would use it and not look back. But to each their own ya know.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all of California is warm and sunny all year long. Lol. I’m two hours northeast of Los Angeles at 7,000 feet elevation, mountain ski town. We saw 10 feet of snow in just 10 days in the end of February going into March. We’re not mammoth or Tahoe….. that’s unheard of for us down here lol. But at any rate it gets plenty cold lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401