Want to take my 2010 Yukon XL Denali with 180,000 miles for a family trip from Michigan To Florida - Can you help me make this a success!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gearing in our trucks gets us moving pretty good with little throttle input. It's not hard to run up on inexperienced drivers who push off the line rather quickly but let off the gas when their car hits second at around 10 mph and they then take forever to reach 45. When this happens to me, mine short shifts and feels sloppy. It only "bangs" when I throttle up at low speed and she downshifts from 2nd or 3rd to 1st. I reckon it'll get worse when the 3.73 gears go in! LOL

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope you've all been doing well!

Wanted to come back to one of the issues I've never completely resolved - and going back to my original post:

"When I hit the gas, the truck hesitates for a split second where it feelslike it hits gear a little hard (gear is a complete assumption). If I'm gentle on the accelerator going from stop, it's perfectly smooth - but even knowing this, sometimes I forget."

So, I can describe this a little better when it happened yesterday - probably one of the hardest ones yet. Was sitting at a red light. Traffic started to move, so I hit the gas and started forward. Had to take my foot off the gas because the car in front of me started to slow and then hit the gas again when traffic started to go (within a second or two). I get the split second hesitation, the truck hits hard and you feel it throughout the vehicle. This is all happening at under 30 mph. Once I'm moving, it doesn't really happen...it's usually when I'm starting from a stop or when I hit the gas while in motion. I feel like it's at lower speeds when I have to get the momentum of the vehicle moving vs when I'm cruising at highway speeds and have to make small speed adjustments.

I replaced the engine mounts with OEM back in November.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like the infamous "Clunk/Klunk" caused by front differential mounts and motor mounts:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/front-differential-mounts.120260/

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on plans for the transmission. I have a local shop that is telling me to just run the transmission into the ground and then they will just give me a rebuilt one with a billet TC but if I drive an hour away to another shop, they will rebuild it before major issues. I'm leaning towards rebuilding my current one, so I'm going back and forth with the 2nd shop on making sure I understand everything they will do line by line.

If you don't mind, I'm in west metro Detroit. What transmission shops are you talking to? My two trucks are getting up there in mileage, both with their original transmissions, so I'd like to have a few shops in my back pocket for when (if?) the time comes. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind, I'm in west metro Detroit. What transmission shops are you talking to? My two trucks are getting up there in mileage, both with their original transmissions, so I'd like to have a few shops in my back pocket for when (if?) the time comes. Thanks.
For sure! Would love to share what I know so far. I've been slow walking things this year because I've been traveling a lot for work in January and the Yukon has been in the garage for a month. But I'm having issues with my daily driver - looks like it may be a bad oil filter??? Luckily I caught it just in time! Still investigating this one.

I'm actually originally from Metro Detroit as well - Rochester. Reluctantly moved to Ohio a little while back (and still hate it), but am still up in Rochester at least 2 weeks out of every month. It's still home to me.

Would love to collaborate on the transmission shop. I've spoken to about 7 shops - all but one of them has said to just wait until the transmission breaks down and then bring it in. Not sure this is the right recommendation, but that's what they all have said.

The best conversation I've had so far was with Transmission Clinic in Madison Heights. They seemed to know the transmission well and knew of some upgrades @NickTransmissions talks about here. I still have to confirm all of it. I mentioned that I wanted to go in to see the shop and they were very open to talk through whatever I wanted. They also had a 6L80 in the shop that they were rebuilding when I called. With travel, I'm still a couple weeks out until I'll get there but glad to keep you posted on what I find out.

I've also been keeping a list of the other non-transmission things to do when you have it pulled and can share that as well. That's been gathered from folks in this thread and hundreds of other threads I've read here.

I keep telling myself that just maybe I got that 1 in a million transmission that will go to 300K since I have no issues and my Blackstone report was overly positive, but reading everything here, I know it's only a matter of time. I can see doing something with the transmission later this year.

The only thing in my mind is whether I'm better off doing a GM reman so I can have the nationwide warranty. With all of the traveling I do, it may just be the right decision.

Last edited:

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*snip*

Would love to collaborate on the transmission shop. I've spoken to about 7 shops - all but one of them has said to just wait until the transmission breaks down and then bring it in. Not sure this is the right recommendation, but that's what they all have said.

The best conversation I've had so far was with Transmission Clinic in Madison Heights. They seemed to know the transmission well and knew of some upgrades @NickTransmissions talks about here. I still have to confirm all of it. I mentioned that I wanted to go in to see the shop and they were very open to talk through whatever I wanted. They also had a 6L80 in the shop that they were rebuilding when I called. With travel, I'm still a couple weeks out until I'll get there but glad to keep you posted on what I find out.

I'm in Warren and Ferndale almost every week, so I could easily drop in just about any time. I've probably driven past it a bunch of times. Hit me up via PM if you want to discuss further.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep telling myself that just maybe I got that 1 in a million transmission that will go to 300K since I have no issues and my Blackstone report was overly positive, but reading everything here, I know it's only a matter of time.

The only thing in my mind is whether I'm better off doing a GM reman so I can have the nationwide warranty. With all of the traveling I do, it may just be the right decision.
Wishful thinking. Not that I’m disagreeing with your hopefulness, if your trans doesn’t break down, your TCase or Torque Converter will.

If you’ve read any of the stuff @NickTransmissions and other mechanics on here have explained, the only problem with going stock GM for everything is the fact that you have a much higher probability for future failed to occur that much sooner - for a multitude of reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019