2021 Suburban LM2 reliability sob story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if there is a TSB on this? My dealer doesn't seem very interested in finding the source of the diesel smell in the cabin of our Tahoe RST (what idiot designed the exhaust to exit underneath the truck?!).
My wife's '21 had a leaking exhaust issue, their is a tsb for that. If you search for posts under my account one of them has a link to the tsb on that topic. "I think" it was specifically around a weld on the flange for the turbo.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah
My wife's '21 had a leaking exhaust issue, their is a tsb for that. If you search for posts under my account one of them has a link to the tsb on that topic. "I think" it was specifically around a weld on the flange for the turbo.
Yeah, found that. Dealer said they didn't find a leak. When I asked if they used the defined process, they said the error code that indicated the need for the test wasn't present, so no. When I asked if I needed to contact corporate, they said "if it is a concern for you". Yeah, it's a concern, Sparky.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah

Yeah, found that. Dealer said they didn't find a leak. When I asked if they used the defined process, they said the error code that indicated the need for the test wasn't present, so no. When I asked if I needed to contact corporate, they said "if it is a concern for you". Yeah, it's a concern, Sparky.
in my situation there wasn't an error code

call corporate, tell them you have exhaust smell in the cabin, tell them you are worried about your passengers getting sick
no one wants a safety issue on their hands; exhaust in the cabin is a big issue

OP
OP
J

Jim Meehan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally got our Suburban back yesterday after almost 4 1/2 months. Maybe 30 days of that was because the replacement exhaust manifold was backordered. The rest of it was total ridiculousness, mismanagement and understaffing at the dealer's service department.

I ended up making a complaint with GM Customer Experience, and I think that played a part in finally getting it moving. They contacted me today with a buyback offer. As I understand it, they're offering the full original purchase price plus all taxes and fees. Or a $0 trade on a brand new 2024. That seems like a pretty generous offer -- waiting on answers to lots of questions.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got our Suburban back yesterday after almost 4 1/2 months. Maybe 30 days of that was because the replacement exhaust manifold was backordered. The rest of it was total ridiculousness, mismanagement and understaffing at the dealer's service department.

I ended up making a complaint with GM Customer Experience, and I think that played a part in finally getting it moving. They contacted me today with a buyback offer. As I understand it, they're offering the full original purchase price plus all taxes and fees. Or a $0 trade on a brand new 2024. That seems like a pretty generous offer -- waiting on answers to lots of questions.
That's a super generous offer - usually when GM offers a buy-back it's original purchase price less the mileage you've accumulated. At 85K miles you've accumulated plenty of miles so to be able to get out of it and jump to a '24 for nothing extra is a great deal for you. Keep us posted on how it ends up working out!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would take that offer in a heartbeat....incidentally, did the cracked manifold solve the exhaust smell issue?

OP
OP
J

Jim Meehan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would take that offer in a heartbeat....incidentally, did the cracked manifold solve the exhaust smell issue?

It's way better for sure, but to be honest I'm not sure it's totally resolved. It seems like there's still a little exhaust smell, but maybe I'm just sensitized to it and / or it's still lingering in the interior materials from how bad it was before. Doesn't really matter -- that'll be GM's problem after the repurchase is complete.

On the repurchase, it's not quite as good as I originally stated. They are offering everything I paid for the vehicle, including sales tax, registration and interest on the loan for the 39 months we've had it. Minus about $2100 for the 3300 miles we drove it before the first issue. They will not cover the MSRP gap if we use the offer toward a new 2024. That was BS from the initial paper-pusher customer service reps who set up the repurchase process, but are not actually that informed about it.

I made the case that there should be no mileage deduction, because the first issue was a coolant leak caused by an assembly defect (mis-installed hose) that was present when the vehicle left the factory. And I had to visit multiple dealerships before anyone would believe me that there was a problem. I haven't gotten a response on that yet, but even if they don't go for it, $2100 to drive a vehicle 83,000 miles for 3+ years is a pretty good deal.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's way better for sure, but to be honest I'm not sure it's totally resolved. It seems like there's still a little exhaust smell, but maybe I'm just sensitized to it and / or it's still lingering in the interior materials from how bad it was before. Doesn't really matter -- that'll be GM's problem after the repurchase is complete.

On the repurchase, it's not quite as good as I originally stated. They are offering everything I paid for the vehicle, including sales tax, registration and interest on the loan for the 39 months we've had it. Minus about $2100 for the 3300 miles we drove it before the first issue. They will not cover the MSRP gap if we use the offer toward a new 2024. That was BS from the initial paper-pusher customer service reps who set up the repurchase process, but are not actually that informed about it.

I made the case that there should be no mileage deduction, because the first issue was a coolant leak caused by an assembly defect (mis-installed hose) that was present when the vehicle left the factory. And I had to visit multiple dealerships before anyone would believe me that there was a problem. I haven't gotten a response on that yet, but even if they don't go for it, $2100 to drive a vehicle 83,000 miles for 3+ years is a pretty good deal.

That’s very generous considering you were able to drive for 80k miles after the first issue. We had a Ford lemon that was practically undrivable the entire time we were going through the lemon law. It took about a year to get rid of it and we weren’t able to put any miles on it while all of that was happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar