Is my AWD Escalade rearend junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have specified mines a GMT800. I was mostly trying to clear up the confusion on the differential. I remember hearing that about the GMT900’s though.
I only said gmt900 because I do not know if this is also the case for the 800's but I would assume it may be, I already tested this theory on my 2012 because I didn't believe it :rolleyes: jacked it up on my slanted driveway and sure as shit it rolled away on me.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only said gmt900 because I do not know if this is also the case for the 800's but I would assume it may be, I already tested this theory on my 2012 because I didn't believe it :rolleyes: jacked it up on my slanted driveway and sure as shit it rolled away on me.
I know from experience with a tow truck escapade that mine won’t. One time when I was in a movie theater some ******* tried to steal The Beast. They broke the ignition cylinder so I couldn’t start it or get it out of park. The tow company sent a flatbed. I told the guy it’s AWD so ge should call a regular truck but he said it’s ok, he’ll just put 2 wheels on skids and pull it up onto the truck. It didn’t work, he had to put skids on all 4 wheels. He used these plastic things that went under the tires do they could slide, and dish soap to reduce friction. It took about 3-4 hours to get it home and unloaded. At least it fairly certain having the rear wheels on skids and trying to pull the truck up the flatbed would be like having them off the ground since they wouldn’t be moving, idk. I do chalk them anytime I’m jacking it up if I’m not on level ground but also I only do one corner or side at a time, put it on a jack stand and move on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know from experience with a tow truck escapade that mine won’t. One time when I was in a movie theater some ******* tried to steal The Beast. They broke the ignition cylinder so I couldn’t start it or get it out of park. The tow company sent a flatbed. I told the guy it’s AWD so ge should call a regular truck but he said it’s ok, he’ll just put 2 wheels on skids and pull it up onto the truck. It didn’t work, he had to put skids on all 4 wheels. He used these plastic things that went under the tires do they could slide, and dish soap to reduce friction. It took about 3-4 hours to get it home and unloaded. At least it fairly certain having the rear wheels on skids and trying to pull the truck up the flatbed would be like having them off the ground since they wouldn’t be moving, idk. I do chalk them anytime I’m jacking it up if I’m not on level ground but also I only do one corner or side at a time, put it on a jack stand and move on.
2 wheels (same axle front or rear) have to be free to spin otherwise it just stays bound up, putting it on skates or skids won't work. otherwise you have to put it in neutral.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
late or something i'm sure,
but i have a boring open diff in my hoe, but my S10 has the G80 locker.
Spins freely when jacked up, but if you jerk the wheel/try and spin one real quick. the locker will engage.

My vette has the limited slip, put it in N and spin one wheel, the other wheel will spin with it.
try and bind one side up, and spin the other wheel. Forget about it.

:favorites25:

Reaction score
the AWD gmt900's do not have "park" like a normal 2wd or 4wd, when you place the AWD in park it binds the front & rear wheels together, lift the front or rear and it will roll away on you, chock your wheels ALWAYS.
Good to know. When I rotate my tires I usually jack up drivers front and put jack stand under, then jack up passenger front and place jack stand, then move back and to the rears. I guess I've been lucky because my garage floor is level.

From now on, I will do drivers front then drivers rear, then move to the other side.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. When I rotate my tires I usually jack up drivers front and put jack stand under, then jack up passenger front and place jack stand, then move back and to the rears. I guess I've been lucky because my garage floor is level.

From now on, I will do drivers front then drivers rear, then move to the other side.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
if your level it shouldn't be any problem just jacking up either end that's not enough to cause it to roll, but..... it's a good idea I do it now ever since I found out. some of the tire shops around here jack up either end all the time and it's never been a problem on level ground

kingMautief

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My project 08 Esky with 234K miles has been pretty good so far. Took it for a 300 mile road trip and got 17 mpg on the freeway. I have been noticing a "clunk" or something like that when taking off "briskly" from a stop or a downshift when accelerating on the freeway. So I jacked it up on the rear diff and the both wheels would spin. I thought this should be impossible if it is in park.
I then got underneath it and checked the u-joints and they looked fine. Then I spun the wheels. The drive shaft was not moving, so it definitely was is park.
I then put the front wheels on concrete with the rear wheels in gravel and tried to power brake it, the rear wheels did not spin the gravel. I assume that I have been driving with only the the front diff taking all of the load and pulling the Esky instead of it being "pushed" by the rear wheels?
Are the rear "posi" clutches worn out?

I am missing something here?

Mike

Project thread

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...-mechanic-fixed-my-blown-engine-for-7.123682/
Did you ever find the problem? I experienced the same thing. I have been driving with power only to the front differential. I don't know how long this has been going on. The rear differential is not engaged through the transfer case.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever find the problem? I experienced the same thing. I have been driving with power only to the front differential. I don't know how long this has been going on. The rear differential is not engaged through the transfer case.

he didn't have a problem. he just didn't understand how his truck was designed to work.

you might have, but would need more info and back story.

I'd say start a fresh thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan