Is my AWD Escalade rearend junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I know I keep repeating this question, why do both rear wheels rotate when the rear end is off of the ground when it is park (they driveshaft does not move because it is park) If someone is bored and they want to verify that this is normal I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike
Have you tried to turn them both in the same direction at the same time?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I know I keep repeating this question, why do both rear wheels rotate when the rear end is off of the ground when it is park (they driveshaft does not move because it is park) If someone is bored and they want to verify that this is normal I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike
That’s just the way the G80 differential works. To be sure, even though I was sure both wheels spin in the opposite direction when they’re both off the ground, I just went out and jacked both off the ground. Sure enough, the opposite side turns in the opposite direction and the driveline doesn’t move, just like yours is doing. If I spin a wheel fast, I can get it to lock and it makes a clunk when it does. The front diff won’t let it roll forward. As fas as your test with both rear wheels in gravel and both fronts on concrete, welcome to the beauty of AWD. The transfer case is transferring 100% of the power to the front so you don’t get wheel spin. So your rear diff is fine, all is normal as I suspected.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you haven't answered the question we keep asking you for clarification: Do the wheels spin in opposite directions, or in the same direction when you turn one of them with your hands with just the rear wheels off the ground? People here are trying to help you but you're not paying attention to what we're trying to ask/tell you about what's normal/not normal with the rear differential in your truck.

Reaction score
Because you haven't answered the question we keep asking you for clarification: Do the wheels spin in opposite directions, or in the same direction when you turn one of them with your hands with just the rear wheels off the ground? People here are trying to help you but you're not paying attention to what we're trying to ask/tell you about what's normal/not normal with the rear differential in your truck.
He answered that in post #9

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

73TA

Reaction score
Not a waste of time, Rocket Man answered my questions, "do the rear tires rotate when the rear end is of the ground and the vehicle is in park?" and the answer was yes. He also stated that the front diff is used as "park" to lock the front and not the rear so the vehicle will not roll away.

Thanks Rocket Man for verifying this for me.

Looks like we can close this thread now. Thanks for all of your feedback.

Mike

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the AWD gmt900's do not have "park" like a normal 2wd or 4wd, when you place the AWD in park it binds the front & rear wheels together, lift the front or rear and it will roll away on you, chock your wheels ALWAYS.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not a waste of time, Rocket Man answered my questions, "do the rear tires rotate when the rear end is of the ground and the vehicle is in park?" and the answer was yes. He also stated that the front diff is used as "park" to lock the front and not the rear so the vehicle will not roll away.

Thanks Rocket Man for verifying this for me.

Looks like we can close this thread now. Thanks for all of your feedback.

Mike
OK, I was just getting dizzy with all the round and round. Gals it's figured out.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the AWD gmt900's do not have "park" like a normal 2wd or 4wd, when you place the AWD in park it binds the front & rear wheels together, lift the front or rear and it will roll away on you, chock your wheels ALWAYS.
I should have specified mines a GMT800. I was mostly trying to clear up the confusion on the differential. I remember hearing that about the GMT900’s though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts