Is my AWD Escalade rearend junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I think the G80 lockers work in a different way. Allows 1 wheel to spin so much then locks up mechanically. That may be why when spun by hand the wheels spin different directions like an open differential.

Now my mustangs with the Trac Loc differencial that uses clutch packs, I have rebuilt them tighter with more clutches and will spin the wheels in the same direction with the rear lifted and turned by hand

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, great to hear that. Both tires do rotate in the opposite direction just like a standard posi does. I never tried the fronts. I guess the GM AWD transmission must lock the front wheels when in park. I guess these rigs are always in basically full time four wheel drive, unlike other vehicle manufactures that bias most of the power to the rear wheels and only activate the front wheels when traction is needed.

If that is the case, wonder how the vehicle can lock into park if all the wheels turn?

Mike

I thought all traction locks both tires spin the same direction? You also have to remember this is all going through a transfer case.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is normal. One note is do not put it on jack stands and run it in gear for more than a minute or two unless you find out for sure if it doesn’t wreck the transfer case. Not sure on the NNBS but on my NBS Denali it will destroy the TC. You should go ahead and pull the rear cover and inspect it but make sure to remove the fill plug first. Quite a few people have drained the diff and then discovered the fill plug was seized and there was no way to refill it. Somebody else should chime in regarding running it on jack stands.

OP
OP

73TA

Reaction score
According to my vin# search, my ride has a limited slip, posi rear end, and the front is an open diff.

I did bunch of google searches and could not find much on the subject until I remembered to look at the vin info. Can't remember if the wheels spun in the direction on the stands.

Pretty sure there is something wrong with it, if the driveline is locked in park and the both rear tires spin. Guess I will find out when I get back home from my business trip next week and put up on jack stands and see if the rear wheels turn when I put it in gear.

Mike

ADJUSTER RR REAR SEAT, POWER, STOWABLE; ADJUSTER FRT ST POWER, MULTI-DIRECTIONAL, DRIVER; ANTENNA BODY SIDE WINDOW, RADIO; ADJUSTER PASS ST POWER, MULTI-DIRECTIONALADJUSTER,SEAT,6-WAY POWER,SPLIT BENCH,PASSENGER; ASH RECEPTACLE AND CIGARETTE LIGHTER; INSULATION,ACOUSTICAL; VIN IDENT POSITION, MULTI- PURPOSE VEHICLE; BODY EQUIPTMENT ONE PIECE LIFT GATE WITH LIFT GLASS BOD; CONTROL ACTIVE BRAKE; FASCIA FRT, CUSTOM, BODY COLOR; BRAKE VAC POWER, 17" DISC/DISC, W/VSES, 7700 LBS; MOLDING B/S EXTERIOR, BRIGHT; CAMERA REAR VIEW; BAR LUGGAGE CARRIER,CENTER CROSS; COLOR COMBINATION SOLID; CRUISE CONTROL,AUTOMATIC,ELECTRONIC; EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY,BLACK; FEDERAL EMISSION CERTIFICATION; CHASSIS PACKAGE BI-STATE REAL TIME DAMPING; SILVERADO/SIERRA CLASSIC/SLE PACKAGE; CONSOLE ROOF INTERIOR, DELUXE; CONTROL INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM; DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND; DEFOGGER,REAR WINDOW,ELECTRIC; OPENER GARAGE DOOR, UNIVERSAL; HEATER,AUXILIARY; LIFTGATE, POWER; COOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION,HEAVY DUTY; EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 2; ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM REAR SEAT,SINGLE DISPLAY,REM CONTROL W/HEADPHONE; EQUIPMENT ADDITIONAL DVD SCREEN; PACKAGE OPTION-; CONTROL SALES ITEM NO. 139; CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 89; CARPET,FLOOR AND WHEELHOUSE; CARPET,LOAD FLOOR; COVERING,FLOOR MATS,FRONT AND REAR,CARPETED INSERT; COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6F4); FASCIA RR, CUSTOM, BODY COLOR; COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7F4); GENERATOR,160 AMP; GLASS,DEEP TINT(REAR SIDE WINDOWS AND REAR DOOR WINDOW); GRILLE,SPECIAL; GVW RATING(7400 LBS); HEADLAMPS CONTROL AUTOMATIC, DELAY; HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT; HEATER,RR SEAT; HEATER SEAT, COOLING, FRT; INDICATOR,LOW TIRE PRESS; CONSOLE,FRONT COMPARTMENT FLOOR(CUSTOM); LOCK CONTROL REMOTE, KEYLESS ENTRY, START; LOCK,SIDE DOOR,ELECTRIC; LANGUAGE CONTROL ENGLISH, FRENCH, SPANISH; LAMP,FRONT FOG; LOCK SPARE TIRE, HOIST SHAFT; LICENSE PLATE,FRONT MOUNTING PACKAGE; CARRIER,ROOF LUGGAGE(PAINTED); CADILLAC BRAND IDENTIFICATION; MIRROR O/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, HEATED, POWER FOLDING; MIRROR,INSIDE,VISOR VANITY,RH AND LH(ILLUM); COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1; ENVELOPE,OWNER INFORMATION MANUAL; OWNERS MANUAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE; AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP; PEDALS ADJUSTABLE, POWER; PLANT CODE-ARLINGTON TX, CPC; WINDOW,ELECTRIC OPERATED,SIDEWINDOW,POWER OPERATED,ALL DOORS; SENSOR INDICATOR NEAR OBSTACLE DETECTION/REAR PARKING ASSIST; AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO; AXLE FRONT (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE; RADIO CONTROL REAR SEAT & EARPHONE JACKS; AIR CONDITIONER,RR AUX; ROOF,SUN,GLASS SLIDING,ELECTRIC; RADIO AM/FM STEREO, WX, SEEK/SCAN, CD, DVD, NAV, CLOCK DSP, RDS, W/VOICE REC MICRO; RESTRAINT ROOF SIDE, LH & RH, INFLATABLESEAT DRIVER,AIR,LOW BACK,VINYL,BOSTROM 910; SPRING,REAR(BASE EQUIPMENT); SEAT,REAR,BUCKET; SEAT,#2 REAR UTILITY; MIRROR,INSIDE,REARVIEW,LT SENSITIVE,COMPASS,O/S TEMP DISPLAY; MERCHANDISED PKG LUXURY EDITION; PROCESSING DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS SERVICE PACKAGE; SALES PROCESSING-STOCK ORDERS; CALIBRATION- SPEEDOMETER A; SPEAKER SYSTEM PREMIUM AUDIO BRANDED WITH SURROUND AMPLIFIER; SPRING,FRONT(BASE EQUIPMENT); TIRE SPARE P265/70R17-113S BW R/PE ST TL ALS; STEPS, RUNNINGBOARD SIDE, RETRACTABLE, POWER; SEAT FRT, INDIVIDUAL/NON-BKTSEAT,FRONT DRIVER,PASSENGER; CONTROL STEERING WHEEL,ACCESSORY; HEATER STEERING WHEEL; STEERING WHEEL(DELUXE); TRANSFER CASE ALL WHEEL DRIVE (AWD), OPEN DIFF, SINGLE SPEED; TIRE ALL P285/45R22 BW TL AL2; HOOK,FRONT TOW; TRAILERING PACKAGE(SPECIAL)(REESE TYPE HITCH); TRAILER HITCH(WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM); TRIM COMBINATION,BLACK LEATHER; INTERIOR TRIM COLOR BLACK/EBONYINTERIOR TRIM,EBONY; VEHICLE STATEMENT - US/CANADA; VIDEO FORMAT REGION 1, NTSC; LABEL COMPLETE VEHICLE; SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR; LEVEL CONTROL AUTO, AIR, HD; WHEEL 22 X 9.0, ALUMINUM, CHROME; WHEEL SPARE FULL SIZE, 17" STEEL; WIPER SYSTEM,REAR WINDOW; WIPER SYSTEM WINDSHIELD, PULSE, MOISTURE SENSITIVE; WASHER NOZZLES, HEATED, WINDSHIELD

Reaction score
Do you have "G80" on the RPO sticker in the glove box? Every option your truck has is listed on this with a 3 digit code.

Looks like this, here's mine.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
8f8643b72a2112764ede5414e28893c7.jpg

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my vin# search, my ride has a limited slip, posi rear end, and the front is an open diff.

Mike, this differential does not operate like that in a '73 Trans Am or '87 Buick, it is a combination limited slip and locker. Runs more like a locker. No special fluids needed.

Remember, your AWD transfer case operates much like a 3rd differential carrier as well. You can down the Restoration Kit from GMs website for your vehicle and if memory serves there are detailed explanations on how the system works, same with the online shop manual at AllDataDIY.

OP
OP

73TA

Reaction score
I realize the true options are in the glove box and understand the GM G codes for the rearends. I had used the vin search before I bought to see what options where on it. I will the wife check the glove box.

Regardless of the rearend type, shouldn't the rear tires not spin if the driveshaft is locked in park as the case with my Esky, and shouldn't the rear tires spin at least a little if rear tires are in gravel?

This just doesn't make sense to me.

Mike

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 09 tahoe has the AXN 9.5" G80 rear end, and when the vehicle is up on the lift, the rear wheels DO spin in opposite directions. While it's still on the lift, you can spin one tire as fast as you can by hand, and it will engage the locker with a loud clunk. It's kinda alarming when it engages and it's kinda hard to do by hand.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Thanks, great to hear that. Both tires do rotate in the opposite direction just like a standard posi does. I never tried the fronts. I guess the GM AWD transmission must lock the front wheels when in park. I guess these rigs are always in basically full time four wheel drive, unlike other vehicle manufactures that bias most of the power to the rear wheels and only activate the front wheels when traction is needed.

If that is the case, wonder how the vehicle can lock into park if all the wheels turn?

Mike
Pretty sure you have an open diff G80 in the rear which will rotate the op wheel in the
I realize the true options are in the glove box and understand the GM G codes for the rearends. I had used the vin search before I bought to see what options where on it. I will the wife check the glove box.

Regardless of the rearend type, shouldn't the rear tires not spin if the driveshaft is locked in park as the case with my Esky, and shouldn't the rear tires spin at least a little if rear tires are in gravel?

This just doesn't make sense to me.

Mike
Has the vehicle ever rolled down your driveway when in park with all four wheels on the ground? You have answered your own question. A true locker would not rotate in your test method of being jacked in the air. Your diffs are open and will do exactly what yours are doing when jacked up. If you actually have a true limited slip, lift only one wheel off the ground and you should have enormous effort req to spin the wheel. limited slip clutches wear out, if the wheel spins easily you either have a G80 tracloc or your limited slip is showing the result of 234k miles of urban use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts