Is it possible to keep truck too long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pyramid_Head

Reaction score
It's simple. Because there is a lot of money out there. A lot. It may not be in your hands or mine, but it is there. A lot of people made a killing on the stock market recently, and I know a lot of 2 income families making $250K or more a year. They have money to burn......
True. Business owners, and independent 1099 workers can write off new vehicles that weigh at least 6000lbs on tax code 179. It just needs to pass certain prerequisites. I think it has to be no less than a few years and use it for business for the most part. I own a business, and tried to do that with my burb a few years back, but I was only able to write off repairs, gas, and maintenance due to its age.

In all honestly, I still prefer my 2011. It's complicated and costly as is when swapping out the transmission, yet it's easy enough for me to repair it as is.

Maybe I'm just stuck in the 80s and 90s when cars were easier to repair and weite off.

AndrewM23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think it’s worth your time and money if your truck is in good shape still, to fix your rig and keep it than to spend another 20-40k for a new or new to you rig. I have a 04 Denali XL 150k and I spent 4K in a new transmission, and everything else that comes with that and I know I won’t have to worry about if for at least another 100k hopefully with proper maintenance and such. Just for reference my father has a 2002 Tahoe with 280k and still going strong only thing major he had to replace was transmission at 225k! 1 Water pump and 2 sets of plugs and wires that’s it

Pyramid_Head

Reaction score
I think it’s worth your time and money if your truck is in good shape still, to fix your rig and keep it than to spend another 20-40k for a new or new to you rig. I have a 04 Denali XL 150k and I spent 4K in a new transmission, and everything else that comes with that and I know I won’t have to worry about if for at least another 100k hopefully with proper maintenance and such. Just for reference my father has a 2002 Tahoe with 280k and still going strong only thing major he had to replace was transmission at 225k! 1 Water pump and 2 sets of plugs and wires that’s it
Very true. If there's massive rust in panels and frame, move on to another vehicle without rust. I live in Socal, the Antelope Valley area, and my cars have no rust at all.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With as much as everything costs these days, I wouldn’t say $250k is year gives you much money to burn. When a starter home is $400k with a $2500 payment, groceries are $300 a week, two $1000 car payments, health “insurance” is $1500 a month and doesn’t cover anything. $250k burns up FAST.
Some depends on where you live. My wife and I never came close to $100K a year and never spent more than $60K a year. Yet we live in a 2400 sq ft brick ranch and I retired at 60. Couldn't do that in CA. though.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito