Is it possible to keep truck too long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yea, was an air cooled VW & Porsche guy. The 67 Beetle was stolen, twice! Got it back, again, and sold it with the 914-6 for a new 90 Corrado g60. I wanted a/c and tired of the smell of jute, exhaust & gasoline. 34 years later still got it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tahoe bought brand new. Runs great with 160k miles but starting to have issues .. nothing major.. like motor mount, oil leaks, transmission cooler leaks, side mirrors, heated seat. I take care of my cars and use them a long time. Last car had 160k miles too. Wondering.. do we cross a point of no return where car is of little resale value and we should just as well keep it till it’s worth nearly nothing? Or should we sell when truck/car still has a decent life remaining so it’s worth a decent selling price? Feel like I’ve crossed the point and little resale value left. Maybe I should consider the postponement of the depreciation hit I take when buying another car. Thoughts?
There are a couple of threads on here about this. Unless you really want a new ride and are looking for an excuse, keep it. You could drop $20K and still be ahead of buying a new or newer one in an unknown condition.

These will never be worth zero, that ship sailed with Cash for Clunkers. Like the previous generations, they will hit max depreciation and then start to appreciate as demand for them increases again; especially the clean ones.

My Yukon is about to hit 200K and runs like a top. I'll have it repainted next year and when the transmission and engine need repair/replacing, they'll get done as well. Going to replace the axles soon for towing and tractor pulls and drag racing. Completed a 3K mile vacation without a hiccup last year.

The only gripe I have is that GM won't release an updated navigation map for these trucks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @swathdiver said. You can go to my build thread and see what I spent to replace known wear out or problematic higher mileage parts, ahead of time. I knew I was going to retire and then have a big trip and sure enough, it performed like brand new. Plus, I was way money ahead of buying new or buying another used vehicle and dealing with unknowns. I know that in all likelihood I will have a transmission go one of these days and have a trusted shop in the area that has nothing but great reviews from customers and other shops in the area. The diffs are in great shape and the engine is just now 161k miles. I may be buried in it.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of this depends on where you live. Up north in the rust belt, maybe time to let go. Southern areas maybe spend some money to get it up to par and drive it another 100k. Does your machine have the cylinder de-activation deal? Any work done on that setup? That could soon lead to an expensive repair.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My beautiful old '98 Burb was a Manitoba Hydro fleet vehicle in it's previous life and very well maintained.
The power train never died but it just rusted away... later at highway speeds the rusted out floor caused the floormats to float up on a cushion of air as I drove along!

I still couldn't part with it so I gifted it to my son who has more energy than me to work on it. He was my maintenance guy who never got paid. Now he gets to put it back on the road after fixing it up, without needing a fresh safety 'cuz of the family transfer.

Looking fwd to my new PPV but I sure miss that old girl!!

sadly they don't make them like that anymore. obs and this Gen don't have much in common.

I've had my 96 for going on 20 years and it was a daily up until about 2 years ago now. in that 2 years I have more time and money into repairs on this 150k 11 than I did in that 20 years and now at 325k 96. i don't even remember what the mileage was when I got it, but it was considered high mileage then haha

I feel like it all depends, if you're doing all your own work, you can keep anything running for as long as you want to. if you need to have the laundry list of stuff done at a shop. it's going to be very costly quickly and might tilt the scales for you

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
… My Yukon is about to hit 200K and runs like a top. I'll have it repainted next year …
Lucky truck. I can tell there’s a few paint & body guys in my neck of the woods. Every couple of months there are a few Burbs & Tahoe that look like they drove out of a 2010 time portal.

When there’s that much perfect paint on that much perfected body panels, then somebody’s color sanded it and restored the OEM rims with perfect trim, it’s lines are just jaw dropping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts