Intake Manifold Nipple Broken! Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea we bought a hose barb and had to cut the end shorter...n got jb weld plastic supposed to do glue it in there today. What exactly does that hose do that goes in there?
You said it yourself, what the hose is for. PCV=Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Without a way to vent the oil system, you can build up pressure and start blowing out seals and leak oil in numerous places. Another reason to use quality oil and filter and change the oil and filter on a schedule.

OP
OP
B

Butterfly7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You said it yourself, what the hose is for. PCV=Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Without a way to vent the oil system, you can build up pressure and start blowing out seals and leak oil in numerous places. Another reason to use quality oil and filter and change the oil and filter on a schedule.
Oh okay So that little.hole allows fresh air in? Also i believe thats why i was having other issues like rough idle i barely touchef the nipple and it broke and also the pvc hose was cracked smh...also is there another alternative hose i can use or i gotta get the exact one that came on vehicle? I really appreciate all your help

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Oh okay So that little.hole allows fresh air in? Also i believe thats why i was having other issues like rough idle i barely touchef the nipple and it broke and also the pvc hose was cracked smh...also is there another alternative hose i can use or i gotta get the exact one that came on vehicle? I really appreciate all your help
The hose is a connection between the vent, your broken nipple, and the pcv valve. The exact I.D. size, I am unsure of, but I think it is about 3/8". The I.D. of the nipple will be less, typically. Any size, within reason, is better than nothing.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I "think" that's the fresh air connection to passenger side valve cover. The driver side valve cover has the pcv valve near the firewall and the pcv hose goes to the top of the intake, at least "this is the way" on my 02 Yukon ff5.3

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im wanting to know is there a way i can repair this/ put a fitting in for this? Anyway else dealt with this ? Please help. I want to avoid having to buy a whole new intake manifold. Its a 2004 yukon denali xl V8 engine. There is a hole where the pcv hose was supposed to go on the nipple. I seen others put a fitting on it.

Something like this would work. Might find something similar at Home Depot or on Amazon: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/16036/10002/-1

That's a 3/8". Not sure what size your PCV hose is, but there are other sizes of this type of fitting. Drill the hole in the manifold to a little smaller than the threads on the fitting and screw it in. It's better to start with the hole too small and slightly open it up until the threads can catch and start with firm inward pressure while turning. You don't want the hole to just catch the threads cuz then it'd be too big/loose. I like to use a grinder to shave down the first few threads to form a taper like a thread tap has. A file would work if you don't have a grinder since brass files so easily. Use J-B Weld Plastic Bonder on the threads and screw it in, clocking it to the right position and let it cure. Smear a thin coat of engine oil or a very light squirt of silicone lube on the barbs to help the PCV hose slide on so you're not pushing on it so hard. Support the fitting from the back while you slip the hose on. You don't want the repaired joint to flex any.

Last edited:

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your JBWeld repair is what I would have suggested. I probably would have done the repair in several stages. I would start with a thin coat to hold the new nipple on. Then I would wrap the entire repair from the original stub to the new nipple with wire to reinforce the repair, then build up the JBWeld around the wire.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't even try to glue it. Drill it to proper size for new fitting, tap it with proper tap, screw in the fitting, connect the hose, clamp if necessary, done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher

Latest posts