Inspection/buying guide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all. I'm in the market for a Suburban or Yukon XL to convert into a road trip vehicle/camper.

Is there an existing thread or article that details what to look out for when buying a used NNBS? I read through the stickied buying thread but that doesn't offer too much in terms of practical buying advice.

Is there a particular model/year that's considered the most reliable?

I'm most interested in a 2010+ Suburban 1500 Z71.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all. I'm in the market for a Suburban or Yukon XL to convert into a road trip vehicle/camper.

Is there an existing thread or article that details what to look out for when buying a used NNBS? I read through the stickied buying thread but that doesn't offer too much in terms of practical buying advice.

If you can find a solid 2007 or 2008 Denali, you can avoid AFM. Otherwise, I would go with the 2013 or 2014 years as they had some things figured out by then. I would recommend the 6.2, but that’s just me. You can get a AFM disabler to shut that feature off.

A lot of folks try and stay away from or swap out the Auto Ride and Auto Level of the higher trim packages and the Auto Level but I like them and have kept both functional in my NNBS vehicles.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize the 6.2 had oil consumption issues as well. I was trying to stay away from Denalis (as well LTZs) due to the aforementioned Auto Ride. I'd also prefer the 5.3 for slightly more fuel efficiency and the part time 4WD (although the Denali AWD is not a dealbreaker). 18" or smaller wheels on the lower trims are also a big plus for me.

With the 5.3, are oil consumption issues guaranteed, or can certain factors (preventive maintenance, driving style, etc) influence it?

To be specific, I'm looking at a 2011 Z71 Suburban with 145k miles this Thursday. Is there anything I can physically check on the car (without dismantling anything) to possibly confirm oil burning?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize the 6.2 had oil consumption issues as well. I was trying to stay away from Denalis (as well LTZs) due to the aforementioned Auto Ride. I'd also prefer the 5.3 for slightly more fuel efficiency and the part time 4WD (although the Denali AWD is not a dealbreaker). 18" or smaller wheels on the lower trims are also a big plus for me.

With the 5.3, are oil consumption issues guaranteed, or can certain factors (preventive maintenance, driving style, etc) influence it?

To be specific, I'm looking at a 2011 Z71 Suburban with 145k miles this Thursday. Is there anything I can physically check on the car (without dismantling anything) to possibly confirm oil burning?

I‘m not aware of anything that would indicate oil consumption that you would find in a normal vehicle check out, but others might know of something that I am not aware of. There was a change in the DS valve cover around 2009/2010 IIRC that helped reduce consumption. Disabling AFM will help a little with oil consumption, but it is mainly to help keep the lifters from failing. A number of folks here have put catch cans on their vehicles to keep the oil from getting into the intake.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buying a used one does not automatically mean it will have oil consumption issue's, more commonly you will find they don't use a drop of oil at all.
just look for a nice clean one that is not covered in oil underneath, take a flashlight and look it all over, listen to the engine, test drive it.
probably the most common issue will be the suspension if you are looking for one with air ride, that is all easily fixed, if it looks questionable then either set aside say 800-1k for new suspension or try to negotiate it off the price. if it's clean, sounds good, drives good then you are probably ok.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also unless it has service records you are going to want to just maintenance everything, flush all the fluids, change the heater hoses and "t's", brakes, plugs/wires. typical stuff then you know you have done pretty much all you can to keep it running good.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GmrxEGN.jpg

Walked away earlier today with a 1 owner 2011 Z71 4x4 for $11.5k. Tires are a nearly new set of Wranglers. Was a North Carolina car for the first few years, and then spent the rest of the time in CO. CO doesn't use salt so there's very little rust. Engine and transmission were very smooth, and the 4WD worked properly.

Service records were nonexistent so I'm assuming that a lot of maintenance is well overdue.

There seems to be a [minor] rear main seal leak. P.O. said it never leaked on the driveway and I believe that. However the frame seems coated with some greasy substance. Most of it did not seem particularly fresh (except pic 2 ). The closest I've seen on personal cars is when a CV boot tore, flung grease everywhere, which then attracted dust.

Based on these pics below, is this normal buildup for a near 10yr old truck with 145k miles? And any idea what the tube in pic 2 is?

NksoZKK.jpg

Lb9Ea3p.jpg

Id1GHws.jpg

eKoSCGl.jpg

ZoLjmNh.jpg

Mog6maj.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GmrxEGN.jpg

Walked away earlier today with a 1 owner 2011 Z71 4x4 for $11.5k. Tires are a nearly new set of Wranglers. Was a North Carolina car for the first few years, and then spent the rest of the time in CO. CO doesn't use salt so there's very little rust. Engine and transmission were very smooth, and the 4WD worked properly.

Service records were nonexistent so I'm assuming that a lot of maintenance is well overdue.

There seems to be a [minor] rear main seal leak. P.O. said it never leaked on the driveway and I believe that. However the frame seems coated with some greasy substance. Most of it did not seem particularly fresh (except pic 2 ). The closest I've seen on personal cars is when a CV boot tore, flung grease everywhere, which then attracted dust.

Based on these pics below, is this normal buildup for a near 10yr old truck with 145k miles? And any idea what the tube in pic 2 is?

NksoZKK.jpg

Lb9Ea3p.jpg

Id1GHws.jpg

eKoSCGl.jpg

ZoLjmNh.jpg

Mog6maj.jpg

SCORE Derek! Those bring an easy $5K more where I live. Looks great and perfectly normal. That's probably one of the differential or transfer case vent tubes.

Keep clean fluid in that truck and it will last a long time, change it all, from diff to diff. These trucks are much more capable off-road than folks give them credit for.

Get a Tech-2 so you can work on it properly. BlackBear tune will greatly improve driveability and the operation of the transmission, my favorite part.

Run the transfer case through its paces often to keep it ready when you need it. We see posts all the time of some guy who is stuck in 4LO because he never put it in 4LO before.

See our posts on fluid part numbers and capacities using the search function. How's the interior? 2-Tone?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...-a-07-14-nnbs-tahoe-suburban-look-here.61720/

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome and Congrats.

The factory coating on the frame is the black stuff you mentioned.

You definitely have a rear main seal leak. Keep an eye on oil level and it will tell you how bad it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442