Inspection/buying guide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SCORE Derek! Those bring an easy $5K more where I live. Looks great and perfectly normal. That's probably one of the differential or transfer case vent tubes.

Keep clean fluid in that truck and it will last a long time, change it all, from diff to diff. These trucks are much more capable off-road than folks give them credit for.

Get a Tech-2 so you can work on it properly. BlackBear tune will greatly improve driveability and the operation of the transmission, my favorite part.

Run the transfer case through its paces often to keep it ready when you need it. We see posts all the time of some guy who is stuck in 4LO because he never put it in 4LO before.

See our posts on fluid part numbers and capacities using the search function. How's the interior? 2-Tone?

As far as I could tell the seller only listed it on OfferUp, which is not the best platform for selling a vehicle. He said he got a few calls per week but apparently I was the only to show up with cash. And yeah I agree, he underpriced it (or under marketed it). Similar year and mileage were going for $13-16k+ (even without the Z71 pack) and many of those had multiple owners.

Aside from the headliner, the interior is all black (I believe vinyl seats) with 2nd row captains and a full set of Weathertech mats.

oypIckm.jpg

mYxaIzF.jpg

Welcome and Congrats.

The factory coating on the frame is the black stuff you mentioned.

You definitely have a rear main seal leak. Keep an eye on oil level and it will tell you how bad it is.

Good to know about the factory coating. There seemed too much of it to be from a leak but I also haven't encountered undercoating that scrapes off so easily.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying to stay away from Denalis (as well LTZs) due to the aforementioned Auto Ride. I'd also prefer the 5.3 for slightly more fuel efficiency and the part time 4WD (although the Denali AWD is not a dealbreaker). 18" or smaller wheels on the lower trims are also a big plus for me.
Lots of people stress over the autoride system, but I think that's because they're worried about the cost of replacing parts when they fail. I have 2 Denali's with autoride. One has 210K and the other has 117K. Replacement OEM shocks are $250 each from RockAuto, and are usuallygood for 100K+, no problem. And if the compressor ever fails (mine haven't), they inexpensive and easy to replace as well. I think it's a great, reliable system that gives a great ride, no leaning in turns, and is great for towing or hauling a lot of gear. For my preferences, I wouldn't want an NNBS without it.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are DIYs for Silverados an identical process for the Suburban?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I could tell the seller only listed it on OfferUp, which is not the best platform for selling a vehicle. He said he got a few calls per week but apparently I was the only to show up with cash. And yeah I agree, he underpriced it (or under marketed it). Similar year and mileage were going for $13-16k+ (even without the Z71 pack) and many of those had multiple owners.

Aside from the headliner, the interior is all black (I believe vinyl seats) with 2nd row captains and a full set of Weathertech mats.

oypIckm.jpg

mYxaIzF.jpg

Good to know about the factory coating. There seemed too much of it to be from a leak but I also haven't encountered undercoating that scrapes off so easily.

The frames are dipped in wax, that is the black stuff. Seats look good and are leather except for the 3rd row if memory serves, tear in the driver's seat is typical. Nice having JL1, the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller!

Are DIYs for Silverados an identical process for the Suburban?

For the most part yes, they share the same drive lines and interiors depending on trim level and computer system and such.

If you don't mind, as you drive it, tell us what kind of mileage you are getting. If you have any ethanol stations nearby, these motors love the stuff.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming
The frames are dipped in wax, that is the black stuff. Seats look good and are leather except for the 3rd row if memory serves, tear in the driver's seat is typical. Nice having JL1, the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller!

For the most part yes, they share the same drive lines and interiors depending on trim level and computer system and such.

If you don't mind, as you drive it, tell us what kind of mileage you are getting. If you have any ethanol stations nearby, these motors love the stuff.

Great to hear the Silverado DIYs will work since I've been finding more information for the trucks than the SUVs. This Haynes article in particular is very helpful:

https://haynes.com/en-us/tips-tutor...eradogmc-sierra-truck-routine-maintenance-faq

Funny you mention E85 as it sounds like the previous owner used that almost exclusively. Maybe he lived near an E85 station but in my experience it's not widely available (i.e. convenient) in Front Range CO. I've driven only about 60 miles since I don't have plates yet, but the avg mpg display shows 13.5.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming

Great to hear the Silverado DIYs will work since I've been finding more information for the trucks than the SUVs. This Haynes article in particular is very helpful:

https://haynes.com/en-us/tips-tutor...eradogmc-sierra-truck-routine-maintenance-faq

Funny you mention E85 as it sounds like the previous owner used that almost exclusively. Maybe he lived near an E85 station but in my experience it's not widely available (i.e. convenient) in Front Range CO. I've driven only about 60 miles since I don't have plates yet, but the avg mpg display shows 13.5.

That's a good average for E85, some apps show you the alcohol content. Using the Gas Buddy app I see that there's a Conoco Alta in Idaho Spring for $1.99 per gallon. Yep, not always convenient to use it, especially when you are off the grid and need the range and endurance!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Congratulations on a beautiful vehicle! Nice score!

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on a beautiful vehicle! Nice score!

Thanks! Haven't driven it much since it just got registered today, but it does look nice in the driveway (which is fortunately clear of oil drips).

1st order of business is getting the fluids swapped out. Diffs and transfer case look like an easy DIY. Power steering looks like an easy DIY as well. I got a dealer quote of $200 to flush the transmission (which I believe includes a filter), so that's a no brainer. Debating on having the dealer flush the coolant as well. However if I change the heater hoses as was suggested, then that's a waste of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues