If you had an LQ4 to drop in, what would you do beforehand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a 95% chance that I'm going to get my hands on a brand spankin' new, fresh out of the crate from GM LQ4. If I get really lucky, it will come with a transmission, too...but I'm not sure about that yet.

So, if you had an LQ4 sitting around waiting to be dropped in, what would you do with it while it was out of the truck? L92 heads? Cam?

This is a new world to me, so I'm curious as to what I can do to this thing to make it really scoot. I don't want something that gets like 9mpg as it's still going to be my daily driver...and of course, I'm broke lol. But I wouldn't mind surprising the shit out of a few people when they get cocky and try to pass me on the highway. :)

Suggestions. Ready....go.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
the LQ4 wont wreck your milage... although your foot will when you add all that glorious power!

Im not sure what comes on the crate motor, but if im not mistaken, they are missing the harnesses, PCM, and possibly a few other bolt on parts... but again, im not sure. I would consider re-building the tranny or getting a 4l80e.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
DEFINATLY cam, cylinder heads, and injectors, etc. Then once its in put headers, intake, exhaust on. Then get a BB tune. you would be 420+ with that setup. Go for it. Man thats awesome!!!!!!

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
jesus ******* christ RT.... did you forget to read the part about hommie being broke! hahaha

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ROFL you guys crack me up. I'm broke now, yeah...but hell if I get this thing, I will probably build it up. I mean why not? There isn't a single thing wrong with the 5.3 I've got in the rig now, so I've got time to stack the bread up and do some cool stuff with the motor while it's out of the truck.

I mean there is still a chance that this deal will take a shit and I won't get the motor, which would suck balls....but I like planning ahead.

Im not sure what comes on the crate motor, but if im not mistaken, they are missing the harnesses, PCM, and possibly a few other bolt on parts... but again, im not sure. I would consider re-building the tranny or getting a 4l80e.

Yeah, it will be missing the electronics, but this is a little different than a crate motor - it's actually a GM surplus motor fully assembled and ready to drop in. Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't get used. The only thing it's missing is the electronics, but from what Justin has been telling me, the wiring harness and PCM will swap over, I'll just need to re-scan for the 6.0 engine and all will be well in Yukon-land. I don't wanna mess with the 4L80E because I've heard that it's not a drop in like the 4L60/65E is...it's longer and requires modded driveshafts or something to that effect. Is that incorrect? If I can score a 4L65E with it, I'll be PLENTY happy for now.

But lets start with the cam. Any recommendations? I was thinking about something from Thunder Racing, like the TR 220-112 since the idle isn't affected that much and its makes good power over a wide RPM range. Anyone have experience with something different? Good or bad comments about Thunder Racing?

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
what ever you get, make sure you get a low cam and not a high cam. I went with a low cam in the vette even though it has plenty of low end torque. The engine loap in a high cam is annoying. Also in a truck low end grunt is 90% of your races.

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you on that one. TR has a bunch of high-RPM screamer cams, and I'm avoiding those like the plague. I want low end punch. I don't plan on winding a 6000+ pound truck up to 6500 RPMs to make good power.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Mild cam (210-214 lsa), springs, pushrods, arp headstuds, arp rod bolts, and a used converter something around 2200-2600 rpm. Or skip the converter and I can get you hooked up with a buddy at nitrous express...unless your ****** hurts.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
TR224, you'll need new springs, converter, and LT headers, tuned for 6.0. Forget changing heads,etc...they flow plenty. Swap cam, springs, get looser converter, and retune.

If you run across an extra one, PM me :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10