Do you use your rear-view mirror in camera-mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKeller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do, particularly when the rear cargo area is full and blocking the normal mirror. However, I found on a long drive that there is some video fatigue on my eyes. After about 8 hours of driving with the rear camera on, I felt my eyes getting tired and felt relief when I switched to normal mirror mode. The camera does take some getting used to but it offers a better field of view than the normal mirror.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good replies, folks. I guess I just haven't been in a situation where my view out the back is completely obscured, but it certainly makes sense there.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find the video motion in the mirror to be distracting...there is just something about the motion and how it projects that is NOT there to my eye when using normal mirror. Also, I prefer less light emitting items in the cabin after dark...just how my eyes work, Your Mileage May Vary
Ditto. I had a loaner with that option and tried it out.......made me feel like I was on an amusement park ride. It's NOT the same as a mirror in my book. I would never use it if my current vehicle had the option. Maybe it's something a guy can get used to, but it wasn't for me.

AliBaba

Reaction score
Is this something that can be added? I have a 23’ Yukon xl AT4 with the 360 camera system already.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this something that can be added? I have a 23’ Yukon xl AT4 with the 360 camera system already.
Yes, this can be added. To do this, you need to buy another interior mirror, a cable, and a unit for the trunk door with two cameras and a washer.

AliBaba

Reaction score
Yes, this can be added. To do this, you need to buy another interior mirror, a cable, and a unit for the trunk door with two cameras and a washer.
Since my AT4 already has a 360 camera setup not sure I’m able to add another camera? Do you know exactly where it’s supposed to go? When I looked last night I already have one above the license plate.

Last edited:

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't use the one in the Yukon, 1500, or 2500. I use the side mirrors, and if I am backing look at the backup camera.

mohbeen81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
...Because I don't. Now, I haven't had the truck for too long, and the concept of having the rear-view camera display video of what's going on behind you is interesting and cool-looking, but... So far I've found it to be more distracting than useful.

I'm also talking about for daily driving/when you're not towing anything (but frankly don't know how effective it would be when you're towing something, either).

Just wondering if I'm missing something, or if I'm just used to a standard rear-view mirror doing what they've done for the previous century.
Yeap I use it all the time, especially at night. I have a Tahoe and due to its length, it gets a little hard to see using just the camera at night. During rains though, it gets unclear, so I switch back to mirror.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019