Do you use your rear-view mirror in camera-mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Because I don't. Now, I haven't had the truck for too long, and the concept of having the rear-view camera display video of what's going on behind you is interesting and cool-looking, but... So far I've found it to be more distracting than useful.

I'm also talking about for daily driving/when you're not towing anything (but frankly don't know how effective it would be when you're towing something, either).

Just wondering if I'm missing something, or if I'm just used to a standard rear-view mirror doing what they've done for the previous century.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't, except in cases where I have the rear end full of cargo or people that obstruct my view...then it is awesome. Or at night when you want to minimize glare in your face...

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've become pretty used to having the camera mode on. It's also nice when people are in the back as instead of seeing their heads in my vision I can actually see behind the vehicle.

whenever I get another vehicle I think I'll make sure it has the video mirror.

The downside of the mirror camera is there's still a little bit of a blind spot and the image in the mirror is usually closer than what it appears to be in the image.

I'm not a fan of how it looks at night...quality could be better there. I tend to turn it off when driving at night or just rely more on the side mirrors.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% of the time. Unobstructed clear view unless it’s raining. That’s the only downside. Who wants to see seats?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% of the time. Unobstructed clear view unless it’s raining. That’s the only downside. Who wants to see seats?
I find the video motion in the mirror to be distracting...there is just something about the motion and how it projects that is NOT there to my eye when using normal mirror. Also, I prefer less light emitting items in the cabin after dark...just how my eyes work, Your Mileage May Vary

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my younger kids, it is nice to see what they are up to, especially since they are quiet in the tahoe(for some strange reason). So it help me communicate with them better seeing them in the mirror and not using a camera to out out the rear.

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
I use it in both my Sierra HD and the Yukon. I prefer it in the truck, though, as in the Yukon it's placed at the back of the vehicle, and if there is a vehicle behind me (like at a stop light), it gives me no perspective of how close they are to me. On the truck, it's placed at the back of the cab in the third brake light assembly, which makes the perspective much more realistic as far as seeing cars right behind me. I agree that it's especially useful in the Yukon when I have passengers in the back.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find the video motion in the mirror to be distracting...there is just something about the motion and how it projects that is NOT there to my eye when using normal mirror. Also, I prefer less light emitting items in the cabin after dark...just how my eyes work, Your Mileage May Vary
I find that to be EXACLTY my issue with my outgoing 22’ Denali. It was such a strange experience switching my point of focus from the road in front of me to the rear view mirror. It was almost a sensation of not “looking through” the mirror at the reflection behind me to “looking at” the screen on the mirror like I’m watching a tv- which gave me a vertigo-like feeling. My 24’ XL AT4 didn’t have the option available and aside from the rear camera washer, I’m not missing the tech at all.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only drive with the image in the mirror. I think this is a brilliant feature. I turned off the rear windshield wiper and only use the camera washer.

Attachments

• 2024-01-08 04-00-54 (1).JPG
    2024-01-08 04-00-54 (1).JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 9

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only drive with the image in the mirror. I think this is a brilliant feature. I turned off the rear windshield wiper and only use the camera washer.
That is a very good point. It works great when the back window is covered in dust or snow.

Somehow during snow driving the camera stays fairly clean and the rear wiper washer will squirt windshield cleaner on the camera to clean it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar