Idiots Are Everywhere!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then i am inclined to put the problem somewhere in the pump or converter. If it was only while driving it could be anything. But, in park only the pump and converter should be moving at any kind of speed to make noise.
That's what I suggested. Apparently he called some supplier help tech and that guy suggested running a pressure test and checking a valve.....

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I called around to probably 20 shops including the local dealership and was quoted in the $4500 to $5300 range. I chose this guy because I'm unable to R&R a transmission on the ground at my age with my physical restrictions. He has glowing reviews and has been in business for decades. $2000 was all I could come up with. Whatever the problem is I don't think he's encountered before. So all I can do is keep my fingers crossed at this point.
Hindsight is and always will be 20/20. The shop sounds stand up for the most part thus far and thankfully owning their mistakes. I hope they find a remedy for you ASAP. As other members have suggested, it sounds converter or pump related. Unfortunate that the shop loafer is nasty, but rental cars aren’t much better. I’ve seen far too much in those over the years. Best wishes regarding the situation.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O K A Y.....Here's the latest update. The vehicle has been there 2 days now. I just talked to the owner and he says they pulled the transmission again and he took the Torque Converter and placed it in his bench and mounted the pump to it and spun it by hand as fast as he could. He heard the clickety clickety noise so he put in another pump. After another test drive he and a tech still hear a noise. But it's slightly quieter. He said he could place his hand over a line and feel it pulsing. So now he has a new Torque Converter being delivered by his fishing buddy that works at PDQ. They are the local reman and parts company. I wish he would see he's losing time/money by doing this and he should have just replaced both of them the first go round. Now he also said he inspected the Flexplate by bolting down to his bench and flexing it with a pry bar. Why am I worried..... :oops:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I guess that is one way to check a flex plate but prying on it does not make me feel good at all. :(

Did they report how the rear main seal and plate went?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Millennials aren’t the problem. Sure there are several that do contribute to several issues we face in society. The problem the auto industry faces is the lack of focus on vocational and trade school programs at a high school level. Sure folks can go to community college(tech school) thereafter but so many don’t look that direction because they were never exposed to it. That is one reason we have retirement age techs carrying the industry with nobody to replace. More of a systematic issue than generational issue. The automotive industry has also been undervalued in public eye for long that entry level wages in the industry are some of the lowest and haven’t kept up with inflation since at least the early 2000s. You combine all that with big business buying up independent dealers, independent parts suppliers, and independent repair/collision centers and that has also contributed to good people regardless of age leaving the industry. Nobody wants to work for peanuts. Honestly can anyone expect any different from $8/hr help in the current world we live in? Everyone has to start somewhere and I get that, but young adults coming into industry can’t even pay rent with wages much less invest in tools and education. Take it from me, several businesses out there place no value in tech training, and that’s why they always have a revolving technician door at their business. I can appreciate some of the older crowds sentiments, as every generation thinks the following is worse off. However, several responses in this thread are simply ignorant. Especially considering the combined age and “experience” some of these commenters have, they should know better than to just use a particular group as a whipping post when the true issues are much more than that. For the record, I’m a millennial I grew up blue collar. I have been working 40 plus hr weeks in paper since the age of sixteen. Prior to that was farm work as a child. I have a bachelors degree and over 40 industry specific certifications. Guys in your primes, there are still millennials who could work circles around you. Take your outdated opinions somewhere else or at least try and educate yourselves before you talk out of your backend.

In regards to the OP problem, I’m glad it’s back at shop and hopefully it returns right as rain. The most sensible thing would be to take it back and let them fix especially considering all variables.
That’s exactly the reason we don’t have enough tradespeople to do quality construction work. More are retiring than are coming in, especially in the trade unions. There used to be classes available in these areas and that’s when a lot of the high school kids would get their hands on using tools to do things, opening their eyes to careers that don’t require a degree. My HS called it Skills Center. Now they push them all into college even if they have zero idea what want to do. You can make 150k a year in a union trade but none of the kids know that anymore. I have personally steered a couple of my daughters millennial friends into the trades and they will be set for life with a great pension after they retire. They had no idea they could be an apprentice and actually get paid to train for 4 years and then earn a good 6 figure wage instead of pay to go to college for 4 years and end up without a job. The schools never told them.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I called around to probably 20 shops including the local dealership and was quoted in the $4500 to $5300 range. I chose this guy because I'm unable to R&R a transmission on the ground at my age with my physical restrictions. He has glowing reviews and has been in business for decades. $2000 was all I could come up with. Whatever the problem is I don't think he's encountered before. So all I can do is keep my fingers crossed at this point.
$2k is leaving him very little margin to make any profits. Most 4L60s are running $1500-1700 range easily from the local autoparts pushing the LQK brands. I'd be worried who he sourced that trans from.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2k is leaving him very little margin to make any profits. Most 4L60s are running $1500-1700 range easily from the local autoparts pushing the LQK brands. I'd be worried who he sourced that trans from.
He rebuilt a core he had. Pretty sure he used a PDQ Rebuild Kit. I'm also pretty sure his desire to fix it has lost him money. He should have cut his losses the 1st day and just replaced the pump and Torque Converter like I suggested. Sometimes you have to weigh the profit/loss differences and just move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA