I need some insight on a motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the reason I'm looking at new motors is because I believe that the main bearing on my crank is loping, I still have to get a video up but the sound only happens when I take my foot off the gas
So you are seeing the balancer wobble, or you hear a sound that makes you think something is out of balance?

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
So you are seeing the balancer wobble, or you hear a sound that makes you think something is out of balance?
Yes and yes
The harmonic balancer does a have a wobble to it, a buddy of mine says it maybe has a few more months, and I am hearing a sound towards the driver side rear of the engine when I let off the gas

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
So instead of swapping my rear diff to a 4.10 from the 3.42, I'm thinking of getting a new axle with a 4.10 gear ratio installed already. My reasoning for thinking about doing this is because I'm not sure how well I would do with lining the 4.10 up where it needs to be and with a new rear axle I would just have to drop the old one and put the new one in. Is there anything that I should look out for or any manufacturing differences between axles? I'm mainly asking for mounting purposes.

If there anything I should know or reasons why it would be better to just the rear diff, please let me know. It's going to be awhile before I start on it so I wanna get some different opinions and see if there's anything I didn't think about

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So instead of swapping my rear diff to a 4.10 from the 3.42, I'm thinking of getting a new axle with a 4.10 gear ratio installed already. My reasoning for thinking about doing this is because I'm not sure how well I would do with lining the 4.10 up where it needs to be and with a new rear axle I would just have to drop the old one and put the new one in. Is there anything that I should look out for or any manufacturing differences between axles? I'm mainly asking for mounting purposes.

If there anything I should know or reasons why it would be better to just the rear diff, please let me know. It's going to be awhile before I start on it so I wanna get some different opinions and see if there's anything I didn't think about

Would a whole new axle (if you could find one) be cheaper than having a professional shop swap the gears for you?

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Would a whole new axle (if you could find one) be cheaper than having a professional shop swap the gears for you?
I haven't called for quotes yet, but from what I've seen online, the axle assembly is a few hundred more then the rear diff. That is IF I am looking at the correct one, or one that will fit.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
It would be cheaper if you got the 4.10s in and realized you didn't like it and wanted to go back.
I have 285/55r20 tires, I'm hoping it'll help with acceleration with the 4.10 so hopefully I don't go back, but I found these. Would the Sonoma axle mount up the same the current one? It looks like it will but I don't want it to be too short or anything

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231212-090115.png
    Screenshot_20231212-090115.png
    692 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20231212-090236.png
    Screenshot_20231212-090236.png
    693.9 KB · Views: 3

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 285/55r20 tires, I'm hoping it'll help with acceleration with the 4.10 so hopefully I don't go back, but I found these. Would the Sonoma axle mount up the same the current one? It looks like it will but I don't want it to be too short or anything
Sonoma? Like the S-10 equivalent?

I don't think that would work. Those axles are narrower and have a leaf spring suspension. Your truck has 6 lugs but those photos show 5 lugs. They look like generic photos.

Was your truck offered with a 4.10 from the factory? I know suburbans were 3.73 standard, but don't know if they offered them in 4.10? IDK, that's why I'm asking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts