I need some insight on a motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZEUS1

Reaction score
I have 285/55r20 tires, I'm hoping it'll help with acceleration with the 4.10 so hopefully I don't go back, but I found these. Would the Sonoma axle mount up the same the current one? It looks like it will but I don't want it to be too short or anything
Just my 2 cents....i would be leery buying a used axle online. Most of those places buy wrecked vehicles to part out. Those parts cold be damaged internally causing more heart ache. I am currently rebuilding a rear end, they can be intimidating if you don't have all the tools. I would find a local shop to do the work, it saves all the math with the set up part of the rebuild. You should be able to buy a new Ring and Pinion set to change to 4.10 for around 300$. Unless you plan on high RPM launches, or extensive towing, the ring and pinion should be all you need to change. I see you already have a G80, so unless you want upgraded unit you are also good there.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents....i would be leery buying a used axle online. Most of those places buy wrecked vehicles to part out. Those parts cold be damaged internally causing more heart ache. I am currently rebuilding a rear end, they can be intimidating if you don't have all the tools. I would find a local shop to do the work, it saves all the math with the set up part of the rebuild. You should be able to buy a new Ring and Pinion set to change to 4.10 for around 300$. Unless you plan on high RPM launches, or extensive towing, the ring and pinion should be all you need to change. I see you already have a G80, so unless you want upgraded unit you are also good there.
That is a good point I was thinking earlier about that, not knowing what condition it is in. It would be a gamble if I choose that route. I know for a fact I don't have all the right tools, mainly the racer install and removal kit and the dial indicator. Personally I don't think I would be able to do complete the job correctly, but I don't have the money for a shop yet. So what all would be good to change? Just the ring and pinion, along with the racers? These are some that I'm seeing, I'm just not sure what part to get. And as far as the G80, I see three different listings, or am I reading it wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231212-211211.png
    Screenshot_20231212-211211.png
    794 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20231212-210506.png
    Screenshot_20231212-210506.png
    556 KB · Views: 2

ZEUS1

Reaction score
That is a good point I was thinking earlier about that, not knowing what condition it is in. It would be a gamble if I choose that route. I know for a fact I don't have all the right tools, mainly the racer install and removal kit and the dial indicator. Personally I don't think I would be able to do complete the job correctly, but I don't have the money for a shop yet. So what all would be good to change? Just the ring and pinion, along with the racers? These are some that I'm seeing, I'm just not sure what part to get. And as far as the G80, I see three different listings, or am I reading it wrong?
that kit from Rigid is all you should need just be sure to order the correct one. That is the one i am using for my rebuild. You should not need to replace anything else.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
that kit from Rigid is all you should need just be sure to order the correct one. That is the one i am using for my rebuild. You should not need to replace anything else.
I thought it posted the 3rd picture but I don't see it, so just to be clear should I get just the ring and pinion with seals or this one? Both are from Rigid, how would I know if I'm getting the right one?
This isy first time getting into anything other than the motor or front end suspension, so this is all new info to me. I just wanna make sure I cover my bases. Just for information purposes, let's say I want to launch at high RPMs like 4-5k RPM, what would need to be changed in the rear axle?
Sorry for all the questions but I'd rather ask then not ask and something end up broke.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231212-211132.png
    Screenshot_20231212-211132.png
    796.9 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Sonoma? Like the S-10 equivalent?

I don't think that would work. Those axles are narrower and have a leaf spring suspension. Your truck has 6 lugs but those photos show 5 lugs. They look like generic photos.

Was your truck offered with a 4.10 from the factory? I know suburbans were 3.73 standard, but don't know if they offered them in 4.10? IDK, that's why I'm asking.
I have the GU6 currently, I don't know if they do offer them with 4.10

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
The Sonoma axle won't even come close to fitting.
It is the same as an s10. It is also a 7.625 differential... it would die a horrible way in a tahoe with a v8.
So should I get the ring and pinion and a new carrier and stick with my original axle?

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
You can.
Personally I would get a whole assembly and bolt it in.... but if you REALLY are thinking of 4000 or 5000 rpm launches, you need something better than an 8.5
So what would be recommended for that set up? Or is there more to it then just the differential to launch at 4-5k?
I might answer my own question but please tell me if I'm wrong, but would I need a 4l80e with a high stall converter and a rear diff bigger then a 8.5 like you said? The more information, the better, like I said I'm wanting to learn more and this is almost better then YouTube learning

ZEUS1

Reaction score
yeah 4k-5k- launches are excessive. Your entire drive train would need to be upgraded, and in the end your Tahoe would not be very friendly driving on the street.

ZEUS1

Reaction score
IMO stick with the cheap ring and pinion kit, that will get you what you need for now. I would also replace you wheel bearing in the axle the same time. This will get you the gears you want......new bearings, which will get the reliability you are after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts