Hybrid MPG thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
I suspect the hybrids do better on the hwy b/c they can stay in 4 cylinder mode longer since they have 3 liters to work with rather than 2.65. I don't think it is the hybrid component b/c from what I've read, it doesn't come into play much during hwy cruising.

I did some playing around and found that at 70mph, mpg is about 17-18mpg on a flat road and the hybrid menu says there is no hybrid input..but speed up to 76mph and itll drop to 4-cyl + hybrid and get back into the 24mpg range...I think its geared for "real" highway speeds instead of posted highway speeds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect the hybrids do better on the hwy b/c they can stay in 4 cylinder mode longer since they have 3 liters to work with rather than 2.65. I don't think it is the hybrid component b/c from what I've read, it doesn't come into play much during hwy cruising.

I did some playing around and found that at 70mph, mpg is about 17-18mpg on a flat road and the hybrid menu says there is no hybrid input..but speed up to 76mph and itll drop to 4-cyl + hybrid and get back into the 24mpg range...I think its geared for "real" highway speeds instead of posted highway speeds.

That's interesting. Is it still cold in your neck of the woods? I remember reading that hybrid batteries do not like the cold.

Do you have a 4wd hybrid?

Also, for me I see 23+ mpg regardless of whether I'm going 65 or 75 mph so far. This weekend's trip will have a lot of flat hwy driving so I'll have more data after that.

In my city, there are lots of 50-60 mph roads. I think my city mpg would do better if I didn't have to keep accelerating up to the higher speeds only to find myself at a red light soon thereafter.

Last edited:

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
Its starting to warm up now (70's)..was chilly when I first started driving it (30's in the AM and 50's in the afternoons). Wish I took more real numbers back then to compare to.
I was thinking more about how the air density would hurt the MPG. Since cold air is more dense, the gas engine runs stronger, but with such a big surface area, makes it more work to drive down the road, aerodynamically.
Interesting point about the batteries though, didnt even think about that! I'm sure there was some battery power loss.

Yup, 4WD...but I usually drive it in 2WD mode..I noticed that even the "Auto" mode robs a few mpg.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really hoping for 19 mpg in the city but so far I'm satisfied. Looks like this monstrosity should at least equal our FJ Cruiser (4L V6) which gets 15-17 mpg combined city and hwy.

If it would stay in 4 cylinder mode longer it MIGHT but it hops around so much that really 4 cylinder mode is useless IMO. Another reason why I'm really looking forward to getting a tune so that I can get rid of the fuel management junk!

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely have to make a mental note to keep my right foot still to maintain 4 cylinder mode but once I do the tahoe will stay in V4 mode for miles at a time...until the next slight incline.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely have to make a mental note to keep my right foot still to maintain 4 cylinder mode but once I do the tahoe will stay in V4 mode for miles at a time...until the next slight incline.

Maybe that's my problem cuz I use cruise a lot in order to keep myself from speeding. If I don't use cruise I get tickets left and right cuz I just go and don't pay attention :)

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Partial update.

Went about 400 miles yesterday. The tahoe didn't do as well as I had hoped for.

About 19.8 mpg (vehicle reading) at about 75 mph on mostly cruise control.

I was hoping to break 20 but it still did better than my FJ Cruiser would have and did about as well as my 1st gen Nissan Murano AWD.

Still impressive for a nearly 3 ton truck with a 6L V8. :)

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
Partial update.

Went about 400 miles yesterday. The tahoe didn't do as well as I had hoped for.

About 19.8 mpg (vehicle reading) at about 75 mph on mostly cruise control.

I was hoping to break 20 but it still did better than my FJ Cruiser would have and did about as well as my 1st gen Nissan Murano AWD.

Still impressive for a nearly 3 ton truck with a 6L V8. :)

Curious...were you in 2wd or auto mode?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC