How To: Setup Auto Ride for Lifts

Discussion in 'Lifted Supension - Z71 & 4x4' started by 01Konvict, Sep 22, 2015.

1. AJK192609

AJK192609 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Andreas
    Great info. Thanks for posting. What kits are people using? Do any of the rough country or tough country kits work by using the FTS sensor extensions? I’d like to 4-6” and keep the lift under around 1k.

2. 01Konvict

01Konvict Boats n Hoes

Name:
    Wade
    I’m pretty sure rough country works but don’t know about tough country. All kits will work as long as the kit retains stock shocks with extensions. Then use the rod spacers to set ride height sensor.

3. bmwme

bmwme Full Access Member

Name:
    Jeff
    This thread helped me figure out my issue with my 04 Escalade. Thank you

It’s new to me and modified but I didn’t know how. Turns out the rear springs were replaced with some kind of aftermarket (RAG on the spring??)

The ass was sagging and even worse when towing. The air pump came on and pumped but it never gained much height. I suspected modified ride sensor and this thread helped me down that path.

I first confirmed I don’t have stock ride hight sensor links, they are shorter. They were about 2-1/2” long and I researched that stock links are 2.95”. So I was able to unthread about 1/8” per end (total of 1/4” per link) and made the links about 2.75” long. This height brought the rear bags significantly higher. Ground to fender went from static 34-3/8” to 35-1/8” which is just about perfect (front is 35”). More importantly when I hooked up my trailer I was very happy to hear the compressor run way longer than it ever has and bring it all the way to about 34-7/8” fully loaded. That’s a job done.

4. Rob Fjerstad

Rob Fjerstad TYF Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Hi everyone - this is a great thread, really glad I found it since all my other research and talking to shops about putting a lift on my truck all said the same thing - have to dump the autoride/dampening capabilities and go with regular shocks/struts.

I'm looking at putting a Supreme Suspension 3.5" front and 3" rear lift kit on my '07 Avalanche and so based on this thread I have a couple follow-up questions. 1). will the FTS rod extenders allow my to extend the rods enough with this lift installed? 2). do I also need rear shock extenders?

Thanks for the help

5. bmwme

bmwme Full Access Member

Name:
    Jeff
    I don’t have experience with lifted GMs but from what I do know I would think you could use rear lift springs then you’d have to install rear shock lowering (upper) and/or raising (lower) mounts to match the lift. The. You’ll have to lengthen the ride height adjusters to match. It may be a bit too much lift to keep but would be worth the effort.