How to clean staining off chrome trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2016 Yukon has developed a reddish brown staining on all of the chrome.
It is all of the chromed trim - front sides, and back.
I read the warnings on chrome cleaning products that they are not to be used on chromed plastic parts.
Out of frustration, I am about to try some Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner on some of the places not too obvious.
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try nevr dull and elbow grease. Maybe coke.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you get some responses. I'm also in CO and I have the same issue. Is yours spotted so it almost looks like rust (that's the best description I could come up with for what it looks like)? Let us know if you find anything that works, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread also. Thanks

OP
OP
BladesNBarrels
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of the front grill
The rest of the chrome trim on the entire vehicle is similar, but not quite as bad
A professional mobile detailer is coming Monday to detail my boat and I am going to ask him if he has a solution.

ChromeStain01.jpg

ChromeStain02.jpg

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm seeing that right, probably not much you can do. Looks like the copper is showing through.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
If I'm seeing that right, probably not much you can do. Looks like the copper is showing through.

Yeah, almost looks like the chrome process itself is failing, not staining. Have you looked online to see if anyone else has a similar issue that you're having?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, almost looks like the chrome process itself is failing, not staining. Have you looked online to see if anyone else has a similar issue that you're having?
There is- another one in Colorado, just like him. See post # 3. Weird that there’s 2 with the same problem, both in Colorado.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aha, seems it’s a Colorado thing. They use magnesium chloride to clear the snow from the roads. I would be pissed. A quick search turned up lots of car owners with the same issue and it sounds like it’s permanent:

After one month of driving my 2017 Outback in Colorado I noticed a staining of the chrome on the front grill. The dealer I bought it from said they could replace it. When I brought it to a dealer much closer to home I was told that Subaru would not warranty the grill on cars driven in Colorado because the state uses calcium chloride on their roads to remove ice and snow. Any ideas on how to remove the staining? I’m going to try the original dealer again to try to get the grill replaced and hope it doesn’t happen again.

And:

I live in Colorado and I have about 3200 miles on my Ascent. All of the chrome parts are pitted and blemished, probably due to the Magnesium Chloride they use as snowmelt on the roads. It's just not practical to wash the car every day in the winter.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions on what to do? I tried to polish out the blemishes, but they are permanent. This is affecting the chrome on the front grill, at the bottom of the doors, and on the back.

I'm bummed that my new car looks so bad already.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Aha, seems it’s a Colorado thing. They use magnesium chloride to clear the snow from the roads. I would be pissed. A quick search turned up lots of car owners with the same issue and it sounds like it’s permanent:

After one month of driving my 2017 Outback in Colorado I noticed a staining of the chrome on the front grill. The dealer I bought it from said they could replace it. When I brought it to a dealer much closer to home I was told that Subaru would not warranty the grill on cars driven in Colorado because the state uses calcium chloride on their roads to remove ice and snow. Any ideas on how to remove the staining? I’m going to try the original dealer again to try to get the grill replaced and hope it doesn’t happen again.

And:

I live in Colorado and I have about 3200 miles on my Ascent. All of the chrome parts are pitted and blemished, probably due to the Magnesium Chloride they use as snowmelt on the roads. It's just not practical to wash the car every day in the winter.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions on what to do? I tried to polish out the blemishes, but they are permanent. This is affecting the chrome on the front grill, at the bottom of the doors, and on the back.

I'm bummed that my new car looks so bad already.
Good detective work Mark. Def didn't look like staining to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094