How to clean staining off chrome trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BladesNBarrels
Reaction score
Well, this news is not good. I will see what a local Colorado detailer says on Monday.
I am sure the Yukon is out of warranty for that sort of thing being 4 years old.
Is there an option of replacing the chrome with some other material or painting it?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well, this news is not good. I will see what a local Colorado detailer says on Monday.
I am sure the Yukon is out of warranty for that sort of thing being 4 years old.
Is there an option of replacing the chrome with some other material or painting it?
How about dipping? Or even have a body shop color match it for you.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They wouldn’t warranty that anyway, that’s out of their control. Yes there’s other things you can do to black out all the chrome. You should look into all the other problems that magnesium chloride causes. Here’s a link to one article. That stuff sounds terrible.
https://www.prestigeimports.net/avoid-problems-magnesium-chloride-deicer/

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have light chrome discoloration on my DD. The dealer would likely label it an environmental cause and that would probably not be a warranty repair. They might do it once for a new vehicle, but probably never again.

It seems that the mag chloride use is to reduce particulates in the air. When I first moved out here ('85) they were using sand and small bits of rock, which eventually broke down and polluted the air, causing our "brown cloud," which got us in trouble with the EPA's air quality standards. They don't use it as much anymore, and have a regular street sweeping program to minimize the sandy dust.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to where you live and local conditions you have one or two options.

1. If you want to keep all trim grill etc chrome then buy new/lightly used OEM stuff and have a local paint ship clear clear coat it as much as they can for protection and ride that out until the local elements take the toll and repeat...

2. Have all of the chrome trim grill etc blacked out and clear coat it as much as you can for protection and ride that out until the local elements take the toll and repeat...

I feel option 2 would last longer, but either one would require some sort of continuous maintenance.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to where you live and local conditions you have one or two options.

1. If you want to keep all trim grill etc chrome then buy new/lightly used OEM stuff and have a local paint ship clear clear coat it as much as they can for protection and ride that out until the local elements take the toll and repeat...

2. Have all of the chrome trim grill etc blacked out and clear coat it as much as you can for protection and ride that out until the local elements take the toll and repeat...

I feel option 2 would last longer, but either one would require some sort of continuous maintenance.
I agree.
Here's another alternative along the lines of option 2. Plasti dip. When it chips or whatever, you can just touch it up.
Actually, there's a new one made by "dip your car," that is stronger. It's called "dip armor."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Use some 0000 steelwool. Use it lightly but I use it a lot in my 2012. I live on the coast in NC and the Salt air is a killer. I have been using quad 4 on any chrome for the last 20 yrs. Sometimes I use a little chrome cleaner with the quad4

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my experience.... REAL chrome plating can be cleaned without surface damage by using soft brass brushes..... ( I don't know if there is such a thing as 'brass wool"?? ).... THEN polish. ( You know "science".... use a material that is weaker than the surface to be cleaned)

As for a plastic "chrome" finish..... That is a tough one..... But a non-abrasive polish ( like for silver cleaning?)...... Like 'SemiChrome' cleaners you can fine at a Harley Davidson shop??
Or find a tube of "MAAS Fine polish". The best stuff to clean without scratches.
The alternative if the chrome coating is just bad, you can actually get spray can-kit of actual Chrome finish....Similar to the chrome coating on the plastic.
( I saw Chip Foose use it )

(( There is always Ebay to buy a new grill..... Something I didn't have to mention )

KIMG1030.JPG

Last edited:

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get it clean or replace it, I wonder if a ceramic coating like Armor Shield would offer any protection. Armor Shield tech support may know the answer. They are great about responding to inquiries. I coated everything on my vehicle except the windshield glass with it year ago and it still looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal