How much trust do you have in the 3.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had an oil change, or are you on the factory fill? Oil usage on the LM2 during break-in is normal, such that GM adds an extra quart of oil in the factory fill. Assuming most people will go to the end of the OLM for their first oil change, that extra quart is added so it doesn't get too low with the oil usage during break-in.

I did an "early" first oil change on mine (1300 miles) and noticed the level down a bit on the dipstick at the time of the change. I then ran my second oil change out ~4500 miles on the oil and did not notice any oil usage. Recently we towed with it and I noticed the level down one section of "diamonds" on the dipstick, but I think that's pretty acceptable, especially on a turbo engine that is constantly at elevated boost levels.

OP
OP
shadeandsound

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You got a good price. My 2010 w/85K miles is only $12K trade-in......
I think I got a fair price for sure, and the buyer really and truly got one of the most pristine 2013 Tahoes that was available, as all of our stuff is absolutely pampered.

Now I am trying to find just the right Yukon XL SLT, of course with the 3.0 since overall, it seems like the general consensus here is that they are relialbe enough. There really is not a bigger, better, new option as domestic full-size SUVs are in a league of their own.

Expeditions and Navigators aren't even up for consideration, and I don't like the way the Suburbans look, nor do I want to pay for a bunch of nonsense I would never need on an Escalade.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021 Sierra Denali CC w/ 25K on it. Second day of ownership had a light, and it needed a coolant hose routed differently as it did not flow correctly?? Took 1 hour. Not one issue, since then. Been bulletproof, lots of towing also. Taking it on road trip up north end of the month 2600 miles round trip. Looking forward to it and what kind of mileage i can muster. Anything I would buy today would have to have a 3.0 in it.

238danc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I sold my beloved 2013 Tahoe, which I had for 10 years and 82k perfect miles--it never even so much as threw a Check Engine light or any other trouble light in that entire duration.

So since I want more interior space with a longer cargo area, I am likely to buy a brand new Yukon XL SLT with Premium/Luxury Packages and the 3.0 as I have read too much, and heard from clients/friends about issues with the new gas engines. I won't ever tow anything, but we like to go way out, from North Carolina to all across this wonderful country, and frequently end up in the absolute middle of nowhere. I never once had a concern that my Tahoe would leave us stranded, but understand that with all the new technologies come new, more aggravating potential problems.

If you have or have had the 3.0, would you or did you drive it four or five thousand miles or more across the U.S. and back without hesitation? Are there any other road trippers on here that do this?
I HAVE A 2021 XL WITH 3.0 LOVE 31000 MILES SO FAR AVER. MILES SINCE NEW 23.5 BOUGHT IT NEW LOVE IT

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently we towed with it and I noticed the level down one section of "diamonds" on the dipstick, but I think that's pretty acceptable, especially on a turbo engine that is constantly at elevated boost levels.
Oil consumption isn't a characteristic of a turbo engine

Oil consumption on a new engine is a characteristic of a faulty break in (not saying that you did anything incorrect, but the breaking in of the ring's didn't occur). This isn't uncommon; it happens. GM had horrible issues with this in the Corvette's when they went to shipping them with synthetic oil.

We just wrapped a 3500 mile trip towing a 5k lb boat, wife's 3.0 didn't use any oil.

OP
OP
shadeandsound

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, based on the helpful feedback received here on my post, I did decide on getting a Yukon XL with the Duramax.

For the last several weeks, I have searched day and night, checked the GMC website daily, and found a couple of Premium/Luxury-package equipped SLTs I liked, but none were quite perfect enough in regard to options and location--I didn't necessarily want to deal with the logistics of buying all the way across the country, since I would want to see/drive in person prior to making the purchase.

Then this past weekend I looked at and sat in a Denali, knowing right away that I had to have one of those instead. I looked for a few days for a Duramax-equipped Denali, and quickly realized that the combination of options I am seeking is even more of a unicorn in that trim level.

So I just placed an order yesterday for a 2024 Yukon XL Denali with Duramax and just about every option except the Rear Entertainment and Max Trailering packages...I don't have kids to entertain, and won't ever buy a boat or camper.

Waiting to hear back about when my order will actually start being processed, and roughly what to expect...2-3 months, 6-8 months, who knows at this point with everything going on?!?

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
24,000 miles & 2yrs, great performance and high fuel efficiency. The engine made me buy it and I have not been disappointed. No breakdowns. No problems. Just oil and fuel filter changes. Great dealer service. I studied test drove all the options - foreign and domestic, gas and diesel - and it was no contest. I love driving this thing. "Solid Bigness" all the way.

nfarios

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, based on the helpful feedback received here on my post, I did decide on getting a Yukon XL with the Duramax.

For the last several weeks, I have searched day and night, checked the GMC website daily, and found a couple of Premium/Luxury-package equipped SLTs I liked, but none were quite perfect enough in regard to options and location--I didn't necessarily want to deal with the logistics of buying all the way across the country, since I would want to see/drive in person prior to making the purchase.

Then this past weekend I looked at and sat in a Denali, knowing right away that I had to have one of those instead. I looked for a few days for a Duramax-equipped Denali, and quickly realized that the combination of options I am seeking is even more of a unicorn in that trim level.

So I just placed an order yesterday for a 2024 Yukon XL Denali with Duramax and just about every option except the Rear Entertainment and Max Trailering packages...I don't have kids to entertain, and won't ever buy a boat or camper.

Waiting to hear back about when my order will actually start being processed, and roughly what to expect...2-3 months, 6-8 months, who knows at this point with everything going on?!?
Great choice, good luck with your purchase. When we ordered our 2022 Tahoe RST in Sept of 2021 we had to wait until Jan of 2022. She now has over 40k problem free miles with trips from San Antonio Tx to CA under her belt at 27.4 MPG and multiple other trips to Dallas and Austin. Solid power delivery at highway speeds. I don’t understand why anyone still buys the 5.3 or the 6.2

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a LM2 teardown:

Take a look at the oil pump belt at 150k looks great. No wonder they bumped it to 200k. Look at the tops of the pistons. This engine jumped time and ran long enough to damage the pistons like that. Built to run. Pretty impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar