Too much rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turd Ferguson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, my dad gave me his 2003 Tahoe Z71; however, it has been sitting for couple of years. For the most part everything looks okay and I’ve got the engine running. I’d like to really make this my first project, but there is a good bit of rust underneath on the rear end (pictures attached). He had a tow hitch that rusted and it looks like it just spreads from there. Does this look like too much rust to work with? Are there specific things I should look for/at when inspecting the rust?

This is all fairly new to me, so thank you for any help you can give.

Attachments

• IMG_4419.jpeg
    IMG_4419.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4421.jpeg
    IMG_4421.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 3

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Critical points for rust are at the body supports where there are the rubber cushions that sit on the frame. The supports that are part of the floor boards can rust and darn near impossible to actually repair. Also look at the frame cross members that can get seriously rusted too, mostly in the rear. The rust in your pictures is ugly, but not all that serious at this point.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What region is it from? Are you willing to descale it and paint it? I recommend eastwood rust encapsulator paint or POR-15

OP
OP
T

Turd Ferguson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Critical points for rust are at the body supports where there are the rubber cushions that sit on the frame. The supports that are part of the floor boards can rust and darn near impossible to actually repair. Also look at the frame cross members that can get seriously rusted too, mostly in the rear. The rust in your pictures is ugly, but not all that serious at this point.
Thank you. I’ll be sure to check all of this out.

OP
OP
T

Turd Ferguson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What region is it from? Are you willing to descale it and paint it? I recommend eastwood rust encapsulator paint or POR-15
Thank you. It’s from south central PA. I’m willing to put in work, but haven’t dealt with rust before. Is the best way to descale parts by hitting them with a wire attachment on an angle grinder and then sanding them down? Or is there a more efficient way?

pwerwgn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, my dad gave me his 2003 Tahoe Z71; however, it has been sitting for couple of years. For the most part everything looks okay and I’ve got the engine running. I’d like to really make this my first project, but there is a good bit of rust underneath on the rear end (pictures attached). He had a tow hitch that rusted and it looks like it just spreads from there. Does this look like too much rust to work with? Are there specific things I should look for/at when inspecting the rust?

This is all fairly new to me, so thank you for any help you can
I live in the rust belt of Ohio and my old one looks just like that but i got a new (2000) out of Calif. 0 rust and redid the paint and interior but theres a new way to remove rust its with using dry ice ,i dont know the cost but seen it done on video and vehicles come out looking new. You could check it out .

OP
OP
T

Turd Ferguson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you. It’s from south central PA. I’m willing to put in work, but haven’t dealt with rust before. Is the best way to descale parts by hitting them with a wire attachment on an angle grinder and then sanding them down? Or is there a more efficient way?
Also, how good of a job can I do if I can’t get this up on a lift? Would it be best to take as many parts off as possible and then get to work cleaning the parts and frame?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is all fairly new to me, so thank you for any help you can give.
~~borderline~~ scary, first thing that comes to mind is brake line's
I would take care of the critical parts 1st. you may get a few more years out of it, if it was free I guess no biggie

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sandblast is the best but a wire wheel will be ok for a por 15 application

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz