How much trust do you have in the 3.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think GM did a decent job on this engine but poor manufacturing quality is ruining mine -it has oil consumption. GM covered their behind by issuing a TSB saying that 1QT per 1000 miles is normal oil consumption and dealers are showing you this TSB when you come and ask to check the oil burn. I really feel anxious now when I drive long-trips and carry 2-3QTs of oil in the car. This is so 1970ies. When I drive 70+ MPH it eats 3/4 of a Quart per 1000 miles. Mine is 2023 so the failed cam cover TSB no longer applies to mine. NHTSA told me - not a safety issue thus NHTSA is not interested in this matter.
I try not to laugh at each new service advisor that gets in on our oil consumption test as we cross the country and just tell them that just because a lawyer writes something down, doesn't make it true. Besides, industry expectation is cars don't consume oil. We've all seen most cars don't. I never signed a piece of paper agreeing to that when I bought the vehicle, did you?

Have them run the test and keep the pressure on. Either it will become a class action, like Volvo did, or it won't and you have a case that your engine is defective because it's so rare.

yourmomsshlong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2024 Duramax Denali XL Ultimate on order after my 2023 with the 6.2 stranded us twice. I was hoping the LZ0 would make it into the 2024s, build the build sheet definitely indicates LM2. I'll report back when it arrives.

TxSam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I sold my beloved 2013 Tahoe, which I had for 10 years and 82k perfect miles--it never even so much as threw a Check Engine light or any other trouble light in that entire duration.

So since I want more interior space with a longer cargo area, I am likely to buy a brand new Yukon XL SLT with Premium/Luxury Packages and the 3.0 as I have read too much, and heard from clients/friends about issues with the new gas engines. I won't ever tow anything, but we like to go way out, from North Carolina to all across this wonderful country, and frequently end up in the absolute middle of nowhere. I never once had a concern that my Tahoe would leave us stranded, but understand that with all the new technologies come new, more aggravating potential problems.

If you have or have had the 3.0, would you or did you drive it four or five thousand miles or more across the U.S. and back without hesitation? Are there any other road trippers on here that do this?
In a heartbeat! We've put 30K+ miles on ours since last July.

We've done one 5k mile trip to the PNW, another 4K trip to Canada and numerous other 1-2k miles trips with no issues and excellent fuel mileage.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I sold my beloved 2013 Tahoe, which I had for 10 years and 82k perfect miles--it never even so much as threw a Check Engine light or any other trouble light in that entire duration.

So since I want more interior space with a longer cargo area, I am likely to buy a brand new Yukon XL SLT with Premium/Luxury Packages and the 3.0 as I have read too much, and heard from clients/friends about issues with the new gas engines. I won't ever tow anything, but we like to go way out, from North Carolina to all across this wonderful country, and frequently end up in the absolute middle of nowhere. I never once had a concern that my Tahoe would leave us stranded, but understand that with all the new technologies come new, more aggravating potential problems.

If you have or have had the 3.0, would you or did you drive it four or five thousand miles or more across the U.S. and back without hesitation? Are there any other road trippers on here that do this?
Dang, I would have bought your 2013 if it was rust free!

OP
OP
shadeandsound

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dang, I would have bought your 2013 if it was rust free!
It lived here in North Carolina since new in 2013, was garage-kept, and never had any body work or other issues, ever...just normal surface rust on some chassis components. The interior was like new since we don't have kids or pets. I listed it on eBay and Cars.com for $28k because I couldn't list it here as a new member without enough posts. Sold for $25k and was okay with that since it went to someone who was going to continue taking great care of it!

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's Yukon is a 23, 10K and no issues. We have a 2020 Silverado at work with a 3.0, 90k on it, no issues. My son has a 2022 Silverado, 25k, no issues. I would not hesitate buying one.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think GM did a decent job on this engine but poor manufacturing quality is ruining mine -it has oil consumption. GM covered their behind by issuing a TSB saying that 1QT per 1000 miles is normal oil consumption and dealers are showing you this TSB when you come and ask to check the oil burn. I really feel anxious now when I drive long-trips and carry 2-3QTs of oil in the car. This is so 1970ies. When I drive 70+ MPH it eats 3/4 of a Quart per 1000 miles. Mine is 2023 so the failed cam cover TSB no longer applies to mine. NHTSA told me - not a safety issue thus NHTSA is not interested in this matter.
How many miles are on your '23 LM2?

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It lived here in North Carolina since new in 2013, was garage-kept, and never had any body work or other issues, ever...just normal surface rust on some chassis components. The interior was like new since we don't have kids or pets. I listed it on eBay and Cars.com for $28k because I couldn't list it here as a new member without enough posts. Sold for $25k and was okay with that since it went to someone who was going to continue taking great care of it!
You got a good price. My 2010 w/85K miles is only $12K trade-in......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onid