How much power will my truck make after these mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremiah_Yukon02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 2002 GMC Yukon 5.3 LM7, I think the stock power rating is 285?, Where do you think I'll be with a few bolt ons like, Shorty Headers, High Flow cats, catback exhaust and a blackbear tune?

145k Miles.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you staying on 87 octane? If so, my non-professional guess would be up to 25 additional HP.

Other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I recommend making sure the engine is ready for the HP pop up. Do a compression test to verify all is good. I recently had a free BBP tune done and it really woke up my engine when accel and the transmission shifts are firmer but I had done a recent compression test during my build thread and knew all was good. You could also do these upgrades in stages.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm gonna do a cam something I'm worried about is reliability and also paired with all those mods plus the mild cam how much hp do you think I'll be making?
I have no comment on the HP question because I don’t have an answer for you. But I suggest the cam because all the mods you listed will get you nothing more than a screaming truck with barely any increase in performance

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son had an 06 Siverado with your same drivetrain. He put a cold air intake on it that probably gave no real power increase but really had a nice sound. Premium gas and a tune of some sort did make some more power by the seat of the pants dyno.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Something else to consider thru all this. As you continue to do this horsepower increase and if you go even further, you need to make sure some other systems are up to *s*n*u*f*f* for the increase. First in line is brakes, you can go fast but you gotta STOP. Next is steering and suspension, so that the handling can be safe during the HP runs. Make sure the cooling system is clean and flowing great and being cooled properly. Is the transmission in great shape and do you know when the last time it was serviced and what was done during that servicing. Rear diff comes to mind. Fluid condition/age and gear lash and sight inspection of the guts.

What in the name of the Wide Wide World of Sports is going on here? The word s*n*u*f*f gets the asterisk treatment?????? C'mon man!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy