High Rpms in Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it won’t let me post a video but there is a fan going at idle after the car sat all day at work. Temperature that day outside was 50-60 degrees. Check engine light was on. She started to drive it and immediately jumped the temperature gauge that high. It reached 260 and the vehicle went into a safety mode. I got home today and the engine code I was able to pull was the P1006. It went on a flatbed and when I got to the dealer, the check engine light was off.
I see. I bet the thermostat is faulty, or ect sensor, or coolant leaked out. Let us know what they find out.

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
The 3.0l diesel doesn't have a thermostat. Temp is controlled by the ECM with valves and an electric pump.
GM Authority has learned that the 3.0L Duramax LM2 will utilize GM’s advanced cooling strategy known as Active Thermal Management. Initially implemented on GM’s turbo-charged 2.7L L3B and 2.0L LSY four-cylinder gasoline engines, Active Thermal Management uses a rotary valve system to distribute coolant through the engine in a targeted manner, sending heat where it’s needed to warm up the engine, thereby reducing friction and heating the cabin, or cooling when needed for high power operation.

An electric water pump is at the core of GM’s Active Thermal Management implementation. It further enhances the engine’s performance and efficiency by eliminating the parasitic drag that comes with a conventional engine-driven water pump. ATM also uses various cutting-edge features, including electronically-controlled ball valve modules to intelligently and precisely control the flow of coolant.

The result is that the engine warms up faster to achieve optimal operating temperature, resulting in better performance and higher efficiency.

To that end, the LM2 will use not one, but two electric coolant pumps – one engine coolant pump and an additional heater coolant pump – much like what we see on the L3B. This implementation is a first for a GM diesel engine.

It also seems that the LM2 will implement advanced coolant routing and the associated controls in much the same way as the L3B. In fact, the L3B goes beyond electric coolant pumps by utilizing cooling fans, a rotary valve system, and a coolant bypass valve. That combination would also be a first for a GM diesel motor.

To achieve active thermal management, the LM2 has numerous coolant temperature sensors placed at specific locations throughout the cooling system that were visible on the vector.

Besides pre-announcing the 3.0L Duramax when unveiling the 2019 Silverado and Sierra light duty trucks at the end of 2018/beginning of 2019, GM has remained very tight-lipped about the diesel engine. Leaks from late last year have pegged it at 282 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque in the 2019 Silverado 1500 and 2019 Sierra 1500.

Today’s information about the motor’s advanced cooling techniques via the Advanced Thermal Management system gives us a bit more intel about the engine that we did not have before.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
it won’t let me post a video but there is a fan going at idle after the car sat all day at work. Temperature that day outside was 50-60 degrees. Check engine light was on. She started to drive it and immediately jumped the temperature gauge that high. It reached 260 and the vehicle went into a safety mode. I got home today and the engine code I was able to pull was the P1006. It went on a flatbed and when I got to the dealer, the check engine light was off.

We can't host videos on TYF. Put one up on YouTube or other host site and post a link to it here.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM Authority has learned that the 3.0L Duramax LM2 will utilize GM’s advanced cooling strategy known as Active Thermal Management. Initially implemented on GM’s turbo-charged 2.7L L3B and 2.0L LSY four-cylinder gasoline engines, Active Thermal Management uses a rotary valve system to distribute coolant through the engine in a targeted manner, sending heat where it’s needed to warm up the engine, thereby reducing friction and heating the cabin, or cooling when needed for high power operation.

An electric water pump is at the core of GM’s Active Thermal Management implementation. It further enhances the engine’s performance and efficiency by eliminating the parasitic drag that comes with a conventional engine-driven water pump. ATM also uses various cutting-edge features, including electronically-controlled ball valve modules to intelligently and precisely control the flow of coolant.

The result is that the engine warms up faster to achieve optimal operating temperature, resulting in better performance and higher efficiency.

To that end, the LM2 will use not one, but two electric coolant pumps – one engine coolant pump and an additional heater coolant pump – much like what we see on the L3B. This implementation is a first for a GM diesel engine.

It also seems that the LM2 will implement advanced coolant routing and the associated controls in much the same way as the L3B. In fact, the L3B goes beyond electric coolant pumps by utilizing cooling fans, a rotary valve system, and a coolant bypass valve. That combination would also be a first for a GM diesel motor.

To achieve active thermal management, the LM2 has numerous coolant temperature sensors placed at specific locations throughout the cooling system that were visible on the vector.

Besides pre-announcing the 3.0L Duramax when unveiling the 2019 Silverado and Sierra light duty trucks at the end of 2018/beginning of 2019, GM has remained very tight-lipped about the diesel engine. Leaks from late last year have pegged it at 282 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque in the 2019 Silverado 1500 and 2019 Sierra 1500.

Today’s information about the motor’s advanced cooling techniques via the Advanced Thermal Management system gives us a bit more intel about the engine that we did not have before.
will whomever was disagreeing with me in a different thread and was claiming how simple / reliable and not expensive the LM2 is please chime in and talk about how the above is simple / reliable / cheaper then a thermostat :)

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will whomever was disagreeing with me in a different thread and was claiming how simple / reliable and not expensive the LM2 is please chime in and talk about how the above is simple / reliable / cheaper then a thermostat :)
Sounds scary but it's just a valve pack. :). It's all in the name of efficiency. And how often you changing thermostats?

But I hear ya.

Technology is a boogeyman. Wooooo

NELLY1947

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently out of town, but the wife is having problems with our 21 Yukon Diesel. She drove it today to work with no issues. When she went to start it, while in park it was sitting at 1000 RPMs with the check engine light on. She drove it and it started to overheat. I won’t be able to pull the code until I get home tomorrow.

Any ideas of what may cause this?
His is my opinion as it happened to me on a 2500 gm pick up diesel.
I'm not sure if the 6cyl is the same as the 8 cyl. If you don't drive them hard enough and idle a lot the glow plugs need to be cleaned and this us done by running the truck through a burn cycle ( ill call it). I think you can do it. The dealer will enter into the dash and run it for about an hour at high rpm and it burns off the buildup . If it gets bat enough like mine did you will have like 50% power.

Ryan 2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2024 and in the manual it talks about if it’s in a regen cycle of the DPF it will pick up on the next start if interrupted. I wonder if the engine was trying to do that and it exposed a secondary cooling issue? Just a guess I’m new to these things so there’s a lot of people a hell of a lot smarter than me. If it was a helicopter or airplane then okay, these things not so much.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently out of town, but the wife is having problems with our 21 Yukon Diesel. She drove it today to work with no issues. When she went to start it, while in park it was sitting at 1000 RPMs with the check engine light on. She drove it and it started to overheat. I won’t be able to pull the code until I get home tomorrow.

Any ideas of what may cause this?
any update, issue get figured out?

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't replaced any of the valves yet, but in 90k my Jeep is on it's 3rd thermostat. Chrysler thought it was wise to embed the thermostat in the plastic coolant intake. The intake leaks at the seam, you get to replace both, the thermostat sticks open, check engine light, replace it again. Went with an aftermarket this last time, see if it holds up. Google Chrysler and oil cooler, that will be an eye opener, mine leaked coolant, $6,600 once the heads were milled, head gaskets replaced, and I was told most 3.6L Penstars leak by the time they have 80k on them. 2 months later, water pump leaking and heater core is seeping. That was $2,800.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019