2016 temp gauge not working and fans running high speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Did the battery reset and all is now well in the world. Everything is working as it should. Thank fo the help!
Is your temperature gauge now pointing straight up at 210? That's usually the sign of a faulty thermostat in these is that full operating temp never reaches close to 210, and of course then the whole fail safe deal happens where gauge falls to zero and all that stuff.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your temperature gauge now pointing straight up at 210? That's usually the sign of a faulty thermostat in these is that full operating temp never reaches close to 210, and of course then the whole fail safe deal happens where gauge falls to zero and all that stuff.
My temp gauge has never reached dead center and the closest it’s come was during a summer traffic jam. Besides burning more fuel what’s the downside to running to cool?

L8T BURB

Reaction score
My temp gauge has never reached dead center and the closest it’s come was during a summer traffic jam. Besides burning more fuel what’s the downside to running to cool?
I wouldn't say there's any harm in it as long as it doesn't trip the fail safe mode. Generally speaking, if yours doesn't reach dead center, it will likely trip that fail safe mode at some point. Good thing is though, as long as you have a pocket scanner, you can literally reset the code while driving and gauge will return to where it was and fail safe will disengage until the next drive cycle.

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Every place i checked for a GM thermostat was the same...backordered for a while....
Have you checked any online outlets? If you can get a GM part number, sourcing these shouldn't be too hard as long as you aren't afraid to order from Amazon or any other online GM parts outlets.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say there's any harm in it as long as it doesn't trip the fail safe mode. Generally speaking, if yours doesn't reach dead center, it will likely trip that fail safe mode at some point. Good thing is though, as long as you have a pocket scanner, you can literally reset the code while driving and gauge will return to where it was and fail safe will disengage until the next drive cycle.
It tripped fail safe mode once when I got a zero reading but so far, knock wood, no issues while it’s reading low. I reset the battery the 1 time it happened.

Bagherra

Reaction score
Have you checked any online outlets? If you can get a GM part number, sourcing these shouldn't be too hard as long as you aren't afraid to order from Amazon or any other online GM parts outlets.

I ordered the temp sensor thru Amazon and got a genuine GM part. I'll try the thermostat...
Even RockAuto doesnt show it...

DCS3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having same issue with my 2016 Tahoe LTZ. I changed the sensor, and the connector. If I drive around town I am fine, but after long distances the gauge dies again causing the fan to kick on. I had a mechanic run the computer and it could see if there any codes and there were none. They were able see the temp even though the gauge was dead. Gauge does reset if I disconnect the battery. I am going to change the thermostat first but they are saying possible issue with the dashboard module, has anyone heard about the module being an issue? Thanks in advance.

L8T BURB

Reaction score
I am having same issue with my 2016 Tahoe LTZ. I changed the sensor, and the connector. If I drive around town I am fine, but after long distances the gauge dies again causing the fan to kick on. I had a mechanic run the computer and it could see if there any codes and there were none. They were able see the temp even though the gauge was dead. Gauge does reset if I disconnect the battery. I am going to change the thermostat first but they are saying possible issue with the dashboard module, has anyone heard about the module being an issue? Thanks in advance.
Don't let mechanics or others over complicate this repair at the expense of your finances. Change the coolant thermostat with a GM thermostat, and disconnect battery to be sure any pending codes clear out.

DCS3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you…. I ordered the thermostat. Once it gets here in April I will give an update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019