High mileage 2008 AFM reprogramming question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VWbuge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am fairly new to the forum. I just traded my 2012 Terrain for a really clean 2008 Tahoe. Tahoe has 140k miles but is really clean and was dealer serviced. Trans was replaced under factory warranty at around 25k miles. (4L60) It runs great but I was looking at having the ECU reprogrammed to disable the AFM. I plan on doing a trans service ASAP.

My question. Should I have a performance tune added to to reprogramming or just stick with the AFM disable?
Is it worth the risk of stressing the trans at this stage?

It will be my daily driver but plan on towing a small trailer with dirtbikes every once in a while.

Thanks for any suggestions. I will be asking plenty more.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am fairly new to the forum. I just traded my 2012 Terrain for a really clean 2008 Tahoe. Tahoe has 140k miles but is really clean and was dealer serviced. Trans was replaced under factory warranty at around 25k miles. (4L60) It runs great but I was looking at having the ECU reprogrammed to disable the AFM. I plan on doing a trans service ASAP.

My question. Should I have a performance tune added to to reprogramming or just stick with the AFM disable?
Is it worth the risk of stressing the trans at this stage?

It will be my daily driver but plan on towing a small trailer with dirtbikes every once in a while.

Thanks for any suggestions. I will be asking plenty more.

A good tune won't really add any extra stress to the trans. You need to locate a good, reputable tuner and to specify to them that you're not after maximum power and race characteristics. The factory trans tuning allows a lot of slip and slow shifts for comfort and to reduce shock to the trans and drivetrain. The excess slip causes more heat and wear, shortening the transmission's life. Reducing the slip and slow shifts will extend the life as well as put more power to the wheels, making it feel like you have a performance tune.

If you don't drive it hard and don't tow much, you can get plenty of life out of the trans as-is. Then you can just have the AFM disabled for ~$60. If you have the means for a custom tune, I'd always recommend that, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700