Help with virgin install 2003 Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vetkllr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just as the title says, I plan on finally installing a system in my beloved Tahoe. All the Factory speakers have long been blown, torn, and otherwise a pile of paper at the bottom of the door. My Tahoe is not a Bose equipped rig, nor does it have steering wheel controls. I have a couple ideas that I wanted to pursue but I will look to you guys for recommendations and suggestions. i have looked on crutchfield.com at some of their stuff. But it is you, those who have real world experience, that I trust.

What I am wanting to achieve:
A clean install with options to build off of in the future.
replace all door speakers with quality products that sound clean.
2 12" subs for really low bass. Want to have the ability to easily remove the sub box in case I need to use the third row seats. Rare.
I am looking for a decent Double Din head unit that works with my iPhone and has the ability to display video via usb/dvd/you tube/ or Netflix from my phone.

I currently have a Zapco Z600C2-SL just itching to be used. I also have a line on other Zapco amps. Z250, Z200, Z150 and Z100. looking for a Z400C4-sl all white Competition Series. I am fond of the old school products as I grew up in the 90's and Zapco, Orion, RF Punch, Lanzar, and Precision Power were all the rage. Now there may be newer products out there that are just as good or efficient. i have heard good things about U.S. Amps and another brand, I cant think of right now, everyone brings up when they talk about affordable cheater amps. I just don't know enough about car audio to up to date on all of that.

So with all that being said let the suggestions flow.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I just push the posts down and remove the banana plug and slip it under the rear trim (making sure they are well apart not to touch each other).

OP
OP
V

Vetkllr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's nice and clean. I'm sure they sound great too. Plus you can easily remove them when you need to such as long trips with the whole family, 5 for me. Did you swap out the door speakers and head unit?

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Just the head unit to a Kenwood DVD player (super easy to bypass the parking wire so you can watch DVDs on the go). Unfortunately it doesn’t play video from the phone though.

8A20B43A-E559-4275-B28D-4F988B48342D.jpeg

Here’s the banana plugs that are essential....

9577650D-6106-46A9-8743-0A1AE8C3261B.jpeg

I’d be interested to see if you find a head unit that plays videos from your phone.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
The Kenwood unit made my Bose speakers come alive, so I didn’t bother with replacing them.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just the head unit to a Kenwood DVD player (super easy to bypass the parking wire so you can watch DVDs on the go). Unfortunately it doesn’t play video from the phone though.

View attachment 264275

Here’s the banana plugs that are essential....

View attachment 264276

I’d be interested to see if you find a head unit that plays videos from your phone.
Gotta find a HU that has "Mirroring" to display from your phone.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Nice! Didn’t even knew those existed!

I would assume the same technique of simply attaching the parking brake wire to a screw on the body of the head unit will trick other brands of head units so that you can have video playing while driving? This is how the Kenwood got bypassed.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Nice! Didn’t even knew those existed!

I would assume the same technique of simply attaching the parking brake wire to a screw on the body of the head unit will trick other brands of head units so that you can have video playing while driving? This is how the Kenwood got bypassed.
Probably. I have a switch for mine.ygSuypSz-1148842505.jpg IMAG0316-1.jpg

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Nice! Where did you put the switch? I’m assuming it’s a simple on/off switch?