Help please trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoeman1120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay so had an issue with transfer case I replaced the transfer case and after I did my girl was driving the truck and smelled transfer fluid burning I checked the fluid it's black and burnt I'm not entirely sure what's going on but any ideas as to what caused this ? The truck still drives no issues cold the trans to this day has never slipped or knocked nothing but if it's driven when it gets hot it makes a lot of noise but I think the noise is happening because it's overheating and cooking the fluid and making it lose its viscosity but any ideas would be very helpful I'm just hoping it's not the Trans the truck has almost 400k on it and the motor is still very stout idk if the Trans cooler isn't functioning properly or what but please don't hold back from your feedback has anyone else ever experienced problems similar to this?? It's the 4l60e

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you suspect the transfer case or the transmission?

If transfer case, it is possible that the pump and pickup tube were not installed correctly.

If the transmission, it is possible that the external lines and cooler have become clogged over the years and the flow is much reduced leading to failure of the transmission.

OP
OP
T

Tahoeman1120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

If transfer case, it is possible that the pump and pickup tube were not installed correctly.

If the transmission, it is possible that the external lines and cooler have become clogged over the years and the flow is much reduced leading to failure of the transmission.
The transfer case was used from a junkyard I drained the old fluid and put the good stuff back in never took it apart because I know nothing about rebuilding them I suspect the transmission I do know the transfer case was freely spinning before I installed it it wasn't seized or anything

OP
OP
T

Tahoeman1120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

So I guess now I will pop off the cooler lines to see if they seem to be clear I'm nervous to drop the trans pan I'm not really trying to sink alot of money in the truck if it's too much ill just have to sell it I'm hoping it's something simple

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The two systems run different fluids, correct? The transmission cooling lines are not gonna effect the transfer case, right? Been too long since in the shop and too lazy to dig for info and I am 4 Jim Beam and waters in to the night.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So I guess now I will pop off the cooler lines to see if they seem to be clear I'm nervous to drop the trans pan I'm not really trying to sink alot of money in the truck if it's too much ill just have to sell it I'm hoping it's something simple
Wait, wait, wait...what fluid is black/dark...the transmission or the transfer case? How do you know the difference between transmission fluid and transfer case fluid smell burning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt