Help please trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he is referring to the transmission fluid now being black. He changed the transfer case fluid and says it is still good if I am understanding correctly.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^There was no understanding OP's post for me.^^^^^^I just posted most logical explanation for his troubles noisy when hot.

OP
OP
T

Tahoeman1120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The two systems run different fluids, correct? The transmission cooling lines are not gonna effect the transfer case, right? Been too long since in the shop and too lazy to dig for info and I am 4 Jim Beam and waters in to the night.
Correct separate systems transfer case has its own fluid

OP
OP
T

Tahoeman1120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait...what fluid is black/dark...the transmission or the transfer case? How do you know the difference between transmission fluid and transfer case fluid smell burning?
The transmission fluid is burnt and I don't know the difference but the transfer case fluid is still the same color and viscosity as when I added it a few months ago and the transmission fluid is not blackish in color and smells very burnt like it got real hot and list its viscosity

OP
OP
T

Tahoeman1120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
^^^^^^^There was no understanding OP's post for me.^^^^^^I just posted most logical explanation for his troubles noisy when hot.
Yes noisy when hot but I'm trying to figure out why it got hot in the first place the problem/component is the transmission and the burnt transmission Fluid

OP
OP
T

Tahoeman1120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bad Tcase from junkyard, possibly the wrong one. Post pic of the codes on glove compartment door.
Was the correct transfer case I checked that out the truck has 4wd buttons not lever and I made sure it was all correct the problem is the transmission but not entirely sure what is going on to make the transmission over heat

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's sloooow down. First off what are we working on here, I saw it's a 99 with 400k so I'm assuming a 99 Tahoe since your name is Tahoeman. I understand it's got electric controlled 4wd with buttons on the dash but how many buttons does it have? What symptoms does the truck exhibit? What fluid are you saying smells burnt or is burnt? Are there any leaks?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a Tech2 or similar scanner for transmission & 4x4 codes which are probably there. If you drive it, do not use "D" ,use 3rd. Stays out of OD Report findings here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts